Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Multiple Users for single Library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I HOPE this is an XBMC and not a Minix question.... I'm a newbee.

I run a Minix X8-H with LAN access (set up with a fixed IP) to play movies etc. from my various NAS in my home LAN. It works great with everything I throw at it. However ...

I would like so set up all of the XBMC's on my various Windows 7 computers (which also have fixed IPs in the same net) to play from the same, central MINIX database according to the idea described in this video: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MySQL Ii.e. using a single, shared database and NOT the newly built in UPnP feature of XBMC itself. (The latter currently still has too many real down sides to be useable.)

My problem is, that I cannot communicate with the SQL server (or latch up to the database) on the MINIX to either add another network user or to find out which credentials to use from Windows setups. Using "xbmc" as username and password in the advancedsettings.xml on my Windows PCs does NOT work. The Minix XBMC is however fully reachable from all PC's, so it's probably NOT a network problem. Maybe I have a permissions problem??

What am I doing wrong? How can I solve the problem? The results of the YouTube Video sample looked so good!
XBMC on your Minix doesn't have a SQL server it has a local database. You need to set up a MySQL database on your NAS and then let your Minix fill this database, your Minix XBMC needs the advancedsettings.xml file as well.

So:

setup MySQL on your NAS, and a user XBMC with enough rights to make a database
export your video/music library on the Minix to USB stick
delete local XBMC library on Minix
exit XBMC
copy advancedsettings.xml with MySQL info to Minix
start XBMC
import video/music library, XBMC will now create a database and fill it
create advancedsettings file for your Win7 PC's

I believe if you want shared thumbnails you have to do path substitution as well, but I'm not sure.