Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Remove horizontal black bars?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have the following

- Intel NUC DC3217IYE
- Panasonic P65ST60Y
- Yamaha RX-A1020

The problem is that some movies/series(1080p/720p) shows thick horizontal borders. It looks crazy becouse the TV is already widescreen!? I can't recale having this problem with regular blu-ray movies played from the blu-ray player.

I can see that some of these problematic media is not really 1080p but 1920x800? I have a vague momory about the standard change again but this time from 16.9 to even wider? But this sounds a bit stupid when more or less all TV sets is 16:9.

There is some movies/series that are really 1080p and they fills the entire screen.

Is there anything to do about this?
uhm, yes, 2.35:1 has been the norm for many a moon... a cinema screen was never 16:9. only a very small subset of movies are produced in 16:9 (typically tv movies). most tv is though.
(2014-08-11, 14:20)ironic_monkey Wrote: [ -> ]uhm, yes, 2.35:1 has been the norm for many a moon... a cinema screen was never 16:9. only a very small subset of movies are produced in 16:9 (typically tv movies). most tv is though.

Okay, so I will always have to live with black borders when watching movies? Is this also true for blu-ray disc movies?
yes also for bds. you can zoom/stretch if that doesnt bother you.
I saw Noah at a friend and this movie filled the entire screen? This most have been a Cinema movie right? So how does this work? Do some companies change the aspect before sending it to the rental market?
The bluray of Noah is 1.85:1. At 1080 Res you will see 21 black pixels at the top and bottom (42 total). If you vertically stretch it to fill the screen, you may or may not think it looks ok.

It appears that this is the same aspect as in theatres

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1959490/tech...tt_dt_spec
So there is really 2 main aspects for theatres?