Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Which NUC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,
Looking for some advice on which NUC to get. I am currently using a Rpi and it's just too slow. Its painful to go from full htpc in the living room to sluggish flaky Rpi in the bedroom.

All I need is:

To play 720p tv eps
Wired network
Run windows every now and then

Obviously I'd rather spend as little as poss but don't want to get one that is underpowered.

Hopefully someone can advise.

Thanks a lot...
This is what I'm thinking:

Intel Next Unit of Computing Kit DCCP847DYE - C847 1.1 GHz Barebone £113.15

Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Laptop Memory Module CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V £30.69

Intel 525 Series 30GB mSATA 6Gb/s SSD £39.90

Is this good enough? Or overkill?

Thanks
If you didn't need Windows I'd suggest the HP Chromebox for £150 (only 2GB RAM and 16GB SSD, but a Haswell Celeron 2955U which is probably a better processor). That NUC Is using a Sandy Bridge (i.e. 2 generations older than Haswell) Celeron and is quite elderly. (It will have the 24p bug and won't do a decent software de-interlace if you end up watching any interlaced content)

The 847 will be snappier than your Pi, but is getting on a bit and could be frustrating in the longer term. However if you just watch 720p stuff I'm sure it will be fine - particularly if you don't see the 24p drop/repeated frames (lots of people don't notice them or don't get annoyed by them, or get rid of them by resampling their audio and syncing playback to the display refresh rate)
Get the Intel DN2820FYKH, 2 GB of RAM, and a regular 30 or 32 GB SSD. You should get all that for $200 USD or less, and it should run well. I use Windows on my 2820 NUC with that setup and it works well. Don't buy that 847 NUC. It's old and not a great value at this point, unless you find it at a much lower price.
Ahh ok. I thought the 2820 was the older generation. That's actually cheaper on ebuyer.

I did read some reviews about that model that mentioned it being flawed hardware? If that's no big deal I'll go with that model then.

Thanks
The 2820 is thew newer Baytrail model. It has a USB3.0 port as well as 2xUSB2.0, and integrated IR. It also takes 2.5" SATA not mSATA SSD/HDs.

It is effectively a next generation "Atom" - but they've rebranded that level as Celeron. No 24p bug, but it won't do a high quality software deinterlace (but this may not be an issue for you) as it doesn't have the CPU power.
I just got the 2820 at the weekend. It's a cracking piece of kit.

I'm currently running Windows 8.1 with Kodi and it works like a charm. Remember to update the bios, chipset, w-lan drivers and gpu drivers otherwise it'll run like a pig in windows until you do.

I've also got openelec on a usb stick as first boot device and it works flawlessly out the box.
Hello,

I'm also interested in a Nuc, really only the 2820 model is my price range. I was also looking at a Zotac Ci320 which has very similar specs (fanless, 2.5" HDD support, builtin IR) but with a better N2930 CPU. It also bothers knowing that if I buy a 2820 NUC, it will be replaced by a better CPU eventually for the same price...

I'm concerned about the lack of availability in the UK, I'm wondering if it's for a reason. The Zotac also had built in AC wireless & bluetooth so it seems like a better deal to me.

At present, all of my media is stored on a Windows box streaming to a Now TV / Roku Plex client. I'd like something wired that can do a little bit more. I plan to use OpenElec with the Plex add-on and maybe some old snes/mega drive emulation.

I assume the 2820 could handle my needs?
Yes I believe it will do all that you ask of it. I considered the Zotac boxes but there seems to be some mixed reviews especially around the heat factor as they are fanless.
as far as I remember Windows built of NUC 2820 has issue with DTS-HD (HD audio) unless there was a fix in past couple of months.
openelec is fine.
Thanks guys, went with the 2820...
I still fancy the Zotac Smile for an extra £20 you get a fanless faster processor....cpumark shows 700 point increase over the 2820 and Intel Quicksync! I may get a 2820 eventually if I can't source one from a decent retailer...
(2014-08-12, 21:37)dannysmith43 Wrote: [ -> ]I still fancy the Zotac Smile for an extra £20 you get a fanless faster processor....cpumark shows 700 point increase over the 2820 and Intel Quicksync!
It's faster for multithreaded processing that can utilize all 4 cores. It's not likely to be faster for single threaded or dual threaded things.
(2014-08-12, 20:36)john_hey Wrote: [ -> ]as far as I remember Windows built of NUC 2820 has issue with DTS-HD (HD audio) unless there was a fix in past couple of months.
openelec is fine.

I think that is common to all Baytrail CPUs at the moment - N2820, J1800, J1900 etc. The Windows drivers appear not to recognise HDCP or a Protected Audio Path and thus won't bitstream HD Audio - DTS HD HR/MA or Dolby True HD - over HDMI? Under Linux they are fine apparently and HD Audio bitstreams fine.
Has any actually received the newer "2830" Celeron model NUC?
Pages: 1 2