Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Which Tablet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Good Evening all!

Just to clarify, from the initial introduction I am not an electrician or an apprentice in anyway, Just here looking for some advice. For my Home cinema set up I need a decent tablet! basically I have a beautiful sounding Fatman Amp, with A USB input for the sound, and a new Acer 3D projector, all media is stored on a WDmycloud drive. My initial plan is to mount a tablet to the wall and run a media centre using XBMC. So.... to clarify ha anybody completed anything similar? I need a decent sized screen, HDMI & USB output/input for the audio and visual, and then wifi to play music and films from.
Can anybody help?[/align]
What's the purpose of the tablet? are you going to watch movies on a 10 inch screen on the wall?
Sorry no, the tablet is just run XBMC, the image will go to the projector via HDMI
The Nexus 8 is due out soon, but I have no experience with running XBMC on a tablet.

A lot of people have a XBMC box hooked up to their TV and control that box via the wireless network with Yatse or the XBMC app from a tablet or smart phone.
I do have a raspberry pi for that, but I want a bigger picture! haha the HD projector will give me a cinema feel!
Which are you trying to do?

Tablet --- HDMI ---> Projector
or
Tablet --- 802.11 ---> Pi --- HDMI ---> Projector
Tablet ---- HDMI ------Projector
Why would you want to use a tablet for that?
The tabletscreen won't be any use to you while the output is directed to HDMI. If you REALLY want to use android, buy a powerful android tv style box. Then by all means use an android tablet for control, yatse is a fine thing!
ah.. its not so much Android, it can be any software, I just wanted a tablet mounted to the wall I can pick films from to then watch on a projector, or use it as a jukebox for music, without having to use my TV whatsoever.
You don't think a tablet on a wall to use as a remote would be awkward? Better to have it on the coffee table so it can be passed around or used for other things. As others have said I think yatse will suit your needs.

Also it sounds like you have a nice setup and I dont think a tablet would do it justice.
Well yes and no, yes its then on the wall an non movavble, but has to be really for the projector and and amplifier to be plugged into. I was then going to use a remote app on my phone to be passed around etc? saying that Yatse is a good looking programme! however I need the hardware to be plugged in!
It sounds like such a cool idea !! Touch screen on the wall to choose your media. However, if you are going to use a remote app on your phone to control it, then you sort of lose the whole point of the wall mounted touch screen (in my opinion) and therefore you might just as well use a NUC and a phone/tablet to control it.
To do justice to XBMC/Kodi you really want an x86 PC. Try a NUC or something similar. This is what plugs into your TV and sound system.

Then any cheap tablet will sit on the wall and control it. And your phone will too. Or your tablet will sit on the wall but be detachable. When I say cheap, I mean in the order of $45 http://www.dx.com/p/a13-7-capacitive-tou...-x576a14pk

Slightly off topic, a nice wall project:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Wall-Mou.../?ALLSTEPS
Well I never considered this option!! thank you very much! searching now for a decent NUC in the UK, any takers??
Pages: 1 2