Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Looking for advice on upcoming build/upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I am new to using FreeNAS. I have been messing around with it a little the past week. So far I really like it. I am planning on replacing and redoing my current setup.
My current setup works but trying to reduce NAS drives and provide better room for growth.

Here is current setup:

In my network closet I have:

Cox Cable modem 180Mbps
HP Procurve 2824 network switch
Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk Wi-Fi router
All my current NAS drivers are wired to the switch
from switch I have cat6 ran upstairs to an Apple Airport Extreme to provide better wifi for upstairs.

Clients:

Intel NUC i5 with 8gb and 120gb MSATA drive running XBMC
Asus Chromebox running Openelec XBMC
My main PC is running XBMC mostly for testing XBMC and moving files around and gaming.
Few Mac’s in the house
Cell phones and iPads

Current NAS drives:

Lenovo IX4-300d with (4) WD Red 3tb drives in raid 5. Used to store all my Blu-ray and 3D .iso files
Lenovo IX3-300d with (4) Seagate 1tb drives in raid 5 and also hacked running Sabnzbd, Sickbeard and CouchPotato. Used to store all TV shows and movies not .iso
Iomega IX2-200 Cloud Edition with (2) WB Green 2tb drives mirrored. General backup server for PC and misc files. Also for Time Machine backups.
I just added the following server and drives to mess around with FreeNAS and planning on upgrading using this for my main NAS.

Server:

Lenovo TS130 with Xeon Quad core 3.40gz and 16gb of ECC DDR3 ram.
(4) Seagate 2tb drives

My plan is to use the following to upgrade/rebuild this server:

Case:

Intel P4308XXMHEN

Drives:

(4) WD Red 3tb drives
(4) Seagate 2tb drives
(4) Seagate 1tb drives
(3) WD Green 2tb drives

Controller:

IBM ServeRAID M1015/9220-8i SAS RAID Card flashed for IT mode

NICs:

Intel PWLA8492MT PRO/1000 MT PCI 2 x RJ45 Dual Port Server Adapter
On board NIC from the TS130 motherboard

Thinking will wire in LACP since switch can handle it and provide better multi client streaming. Not sure if should just use the 2 Intel NICs or all 3 NICs.

Not sure this all makes sense but I am looking for some advice and thoughts about this. All the upgrades are ordered and will be here next week.

My thoughts were to have:

(4) WD Red 3tb drives in RaidZ1 to provide my storage for my .iso files
(4) Seagate 2tb drives in RaidZ1 to provide storage for my TV Shows and other media and to add jail to run Sabnzbd, Sickbeard and CouchPotato.
(3) WD Green 2tb drives in RaidZ1 to provide backups and Time Machine.

Not sure about the other (4) 1tb drives as this pretty much maxes this system as is. The case will have 8 hot swap bays for the IBM ServeRAID M1015 and the bigger drives.

The other 3 drives I am guessing will mount them internal somewhere.

Please provide any comments, thoughts or suggestions.
Anyone?
sorry, it took me 5 minutes to scroll down from the top. out of breath.
(2014-08-15, 18:57)helta Wrote: [ -> ]sorry, it took me 5 minutes to scroll down from the top. out of breath.

Sorry not sure why when pasted post added so many spaces. Fix that.
You would probably get more responses on the FreeNAS forum.

Not sure why you are partitioning groups of disks by role, I'd suggest grouping each set of 4 disks into a vdev then combine all the vdevs into a single large pool. This would give you RAID 10 for your entire pool (data would be stripped across your vdevs, each of which has single disk redundancy). Combining vdevs in this way gives better IO throughput.

You can then set quotas if you wish to apply storage limits.
(2014-08-15, 22:33)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]You would probably get more responses on the FreeNAS forum.

Not sure why you are partitioning groups of disks by role, I'd suggest grouping each set of 4 disks into a vdev then combine all the vdevs into a single large pool. This would give you RAID 10 for your entire pool (data would be stripped across your vdevs, each of which has single disk redundancy). Combining vdevs in this way gives better IO throughput.

You can then set quotas if you wish to apply storage limits.

Have it posted there also.