Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Music & NFS Share
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Question,

How come XBMC doesn't music in NFS shares but it finds videos? SMB works fine by the way.
My music library is shared via NFS, and it works fine here for me. Shared from Ubuntu 14.04 to ubuntu minimal and openelec.
It's weird because I am not the only one who have reported this before but no one ever answer the other threads.

I know it's not an nfs issue since I have my movies and tv shows in the same root folder and it found them.

My folder structure looks like this

\\<server ip address>\Multimedia\HD Movies
\\<server ip address>\Multimedia\TV Shows
\\<server ip address>\Multimedia\Music

My musics are in this folder structure. I am not sure if it makes a difference.

Multimedia\Music\Artist Name\Album\songs
I've got Music and movies shared via nfs, never had any issues. Don't see why it should be different for music and movies.
I don't know. I am checking the nfs permissions right now and they are set in the root folder which is multimedia. Any sub folders have the same permission so I really don't get it. I tried in frodo it didn't work and now in gotham. Same result.

Here's an example: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154146
I think most likely it has to be a permissions issue somewhere. NFS doesn't care what is being shared, but it does care about what can connect and the access rights to the share in question.

I'm curious now. Is it that you can see the music share in XBMC but cannot scan it to the library, or can you simply not see it at all ?

My setup worked fine with Frodo and continues to work with Gotham. I think you need to provide more detail, such as OS and version, /etc/exports and a debug log (wiki) of you trying to access the music share. That might provide some clues.
music is only visible in the music section - i know this sounds stupid but based on what you (not) provided here it plain sounds like a wrong usage of kodi at all...
Yes, you won't see music files listed while browsing Videos -> Files, but you will see them while browsing Music -> Files (where you won't see video files etc.). Although this behaviour should be the same for both SMB and NFS (and any other source).

Perhaps if the OP explained *how* the music files are not being found... walk us through the process, step-by-step, like.
Okay, sorry for the late response.

Here we go. I added the folder nfs://10.10.1.10/Multimedia/Music/ under Music > files and nothing showed up.

I added the folder nfs://10.10.1.10/Multimedia/Videos/HD Movies/ under Videos > files but my movies are listed. - Keep in mind that XBMC asks if the movies are in separate folder. Hold that thought and keep reading.

The same nfs root folder "Multimedia". That's where the permissions are set.

So I said to myself "maybe it is the folder structure that XMBC doesn't like for music"

I tried this instead and it worked "nfs://10.10.1.10/Multimedia/Music/American Hi-Fi/Fight the Frequency/ ". My guess is that it doesn't like the whole Media folder/Media Type/Artist/Album Title/filte type folder structure. Can anyone using nfs for music share their folder structures for music.

Haha. I wasn't looking for music in the videos section. The point I was trying to make was the folder permission must be right else the videos section would of had not picked up the video files since the root folder hold the permission and both music and movies are under the same main folder "Multimedia".
(2014-08-27, 02:29)breezytm Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone using nfs for music share their folder structures for music.

Same as yours.

nfs://192.168.0.3/mnt/share/data/Music/MP3 is my music source (badly named, it's no longer just MP3s and maybe shows how long ago I created it!)

The next level down is the "Artists" folders, eg:
Code:
nfs://192.168.0.3/mnt/share/data/Music/MP3/Pink Floyd/Dark Side Of The Moon (SACD)

within which are the respective "Album" folders, eg.
Code:
nfs://192.168.0.3/mnt/share/data/Music/MP3/Pink Floyd/Dark Side Of The Moon (SACD)
nfs://192.168.0.3/mnt/share/data/Music/MP3/Pink Floyd/Dark Side of the Moon - 30th Anniversary Edition
nfs://192.168.0.3/mnt/share/data/Music/MP3/Pink Floyd/Ultimate Dark Side of the Moon 4.1 (DTS)

within which are the album song files:
Code:
nfs://192.168.0.3/mnt/share/data/Music/MP3/Pink Floyd/Dark Side of the Moon - 30th Anniversary Edition/01 - Speak To Me.flac
nfs://192.168.0.3/mnt/share/data/Music/MP3/Pink Floyd/Dark Side of the Moon - 30th Anniversary Edition/02 - Breathe.flac
nfs://192.168.0.3/mnt/share/data/Music/MP3/Pink Floyd/Dark Side of the Moon - 30th Anniversary Edition/03 - On The Run.flac
nfs://192.168.0.3/mnt/share/data/Music/MP3/Pink Floyd/Dark Side of the Moon - 30th Anniversary Edition/04 - Time.flac
nfs://192.168.0.3/mnt/share/data/Music/MP3/Pink Floyd/Dark Side of the Moon - 30th Anniversary Edition/05 - The Great Gig In The Sky.flac
etc.
(2014-08-27, 02:35)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-27, 02:29)breezytm Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone using nfs for music share their folder structures for music.

Same as yours: nfs://192.168.0.3/mnt/share/data/Music/MP3 is my music source, the next level down being the "Artists" folders, within which are the respective "Album" folders, within which are the album song files.

Scream "what the beep is wrong with this beep" Big Grin

What can I provide to help me figure this out?
(2014-08-27, 02:29)breezytm Wrote: [ -> ]The same nfs root folder "Multimedia". That's where the permissions are set.

And you are sure that any required "permissions" have been properly cascaded down to all subdirectories? Is Multimedia/Music the same NFS export as Multimedia/Videos?

Double check the permissions on the Music folder and all folders below it.

Paste up your /etc/exports file (from your NFS server) and your sources.xml (from XBMC).
Oh, and why haven't you provided a debug log (wiki) showing you adding the Music source? There's probably an error when you add the Music source.
(2014-08-27, 02:43)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-27, 02:29)breezytm Wrote: [ -> ]The same nfs root folder "Multimedia". That's where the permissions are set.

And you are sure that any required "permissions" have been properly cascaded down to all subdirectories? Is Multimedia/Music the same NFS export as Multimedia/Videos?

Double check the permissions on the Music folder and all folders below it.

Paste up your /etc/exports file (from your NFS server) and your sources.xml (from XBMC).

Okay give me a minute to do that but if there is a permission issue, would it had let me get further than ../Music/ all the way to /American Hi-Fi/Fight the Frequency/ and play one of the mp3s?
Probably not, no.

Getting desperate now: Are you using MySQL or SQLite? Maybe your Music database is corrupted somehow, in which case drop it/delete it.

Anyway, a debug log (wiki) would be more helpful, kinda surprised it took this long before anyone asked you for it!
Pages: 1 2 3