Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCbuntu password issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I installed XBMCbuntu under VMWare player in Windows.

I ran the full installation to a virtual disk.

When I ran XBMCbuntu and selected XBMC Media Centre from sound and vision but nothing happened.

I ran the updates from terminal but still nothing.

I then did a manual install from terminal but again, nothing.

I then decided to set it up so that it just ran from the virtual CD.

When prompted for a password the window gave a name of other.

Looking through the wiki documentation, it said to enter xbmc as the username, with no password.

On doing this and hitting login, the login window disappeared for a second and then returned.

I returned to the full setup and when logging in noticed an icon at the top of the screen with a spanner.

The drop down gave me two options to select, xbmc and xbmcbuntu

Selecting xmbcbuntu gave me a prompt to login with my own username, which bought me back to the main screen where I am unable to launch xbmc media centre.

If I select the option for xbmc I am presented with the other login prompt, where I am unable to go any further because it will not accept any login credentials at all.

I'm completely stuck as to what to do now.
don't use VMware for testing Xbmc(buntu)
Do I take it that it doesn't work in a virtual environment then?

I would have thought that this was the best way of testing safely.
It will in virtualbox IF you have hardware acceleration enabled. I have also had XBMC running in VMWare but cannot now recall how I set that up.

In virtualbox, you need the guest extensions installed IIRC.
(2014-08-26, 09:56)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]It will in virtualbox IF you have hardware acceleration enabled. I have also had XBMC running in VMWare but cannot now recall how I set that up.

In virtualbox, you need the guest extensions installed IIRC.

Thats not what I call "working properly". No HW video decoding to only name one.
Just boot your PC from the USB stick in live mode.
I have installed the latest Xbmcubuntu on a live multiple times. I have tried it on multiple computers. Each time I get to the login screen I go into the loop of login "xbmc" with no pasword but it just loops. I am using standard hardware that when I build a ubuntu setup then load xbmc it works. but with the live mode USB stick I can't login.

Please help.