Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Exit to Desktop goes to black screen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please be patient as my Linux skills are very limited.

I am trying to exit XBMC to the desktop by going to shutdown then exit, but it takes me to a black screen. I can type on that screen but that's all. I am trying to get to the desktop so I can set up some emulators but not having any luck.

I am running XBMCbuntu 13.2

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
I have been searching around and haven't really found anything.

Any ideas guys?
Are you by any chance exiting to a terminal screen ?

Does it prompt you for a login ? If not, if you type in ls and hit enter, does it give you any output ?
Doesnt seem like a terminal screen. I use Putty as my terminal when needed and it looks nothing like that. Just a black screen. Typing in letters shows on the screen. Pressing the cursor keys gives me a ^[[A^ with A either a B, C or D depending on which cursor I press.

I get no prompt to login.

Typing in Is shows up but pressing enter just drops a line with no response.

Thanks for the help.
Having a similar issue on Win7 where restart will work fine as will close but shut-down simply closes XBMC and returns to desktop.

I was just looking for any similar reports and thought I would add my 2 pence (not trying to hijack thread or anything)

I don't now Linux well enough to help with your specific issue sorry!
No worries Gumby.

Still have no idea as to what's up with my scenario.
Well no luck on finding how to get the the desktop.

It still goes the the black screen where I can type but it doesn't look like a terminal screen.

Once there I am stuck until I press the power button on my PC. Once I do that I do see it running commands to power down xbmc.

Press again and xbmc resumes like normal.

Any ideas?
I've had this happen, with mine however it just restarts XBMC. Try exiting and ssh into it and restart xbmc and then exit again. Eventually hopefully the desktop login will pop up.... I've also had to wait for a bit of time for it to finally show the desktop login.