Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Remove .zip and .rar from file extensions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i'm loving the new xbmc (especially with the mc360 skin), but i'm wondering if there is a way to remove things like .zip and .rar from the default file extensions for my videos and such. i don't really keep anything in zip or rar files and my lists look way cluttered (i know, i know......clean up my hard drives.......easier said than done) with the zips and rars all listed as folders. is there a way to remove them like there was with the old xboxmediacenter.xml? tia
(zbeeblebrox @ june 07 2006,20:11 Wrote:is there a way to remove them like there was with the old xboxmediacenter.xml?
if you are refering to removing zip and rar from the extensions in the old xboxmediacenter.xml they have been moved to advancedsettings.xml in the userdata folder.

http://manual.xboxmediacenter.de/wakka.p....l&v=nj1
yes, i read about the move and the manual shows the way to add additional extensions, but nothing on how to remove some that show up by default. just wondering if this is still possible, and how i could do it. thanks for the reply, though.
try looking in settings.xml (was in the 0face008 folder and now moed to userdata). and edit it accordingly.
don't think it's possible actually...

but if you don't keep anything in rar/zip why do you have them in the same folder as movies/music?
@harshreality: thanks, but i looked there already, too. i've checked every xml file i could find, but can't find a list of the extensions that are enabled by default. closest thing is something like "<cleartitles>" which looks like it just removes some extraneous info from filenames to make the list look neater.

@elupus: i know.....i said my harddrives were messy....but there is a method to my madness (or is that madness to my method?) that would take too long to explain.......and nobody would really care, so... Smile
(elupus @ june 08 2006,00:17 Wrote:but if you don't keep anything in rar/zip why do you have them in the same folder as movies/music?
i (and i think many ppl like me) keep my subs in rar-files. (i'm not talking srt-files, but idx and sub-files, which can be several megabytes, and compress very well.) there's even an option to look for subtitles in rar-files, so that's obviously the intent. i've got dvd's with about 20 episodes of a tv-series on them, but in the list they're always preceded by 20 rar-files, which does look untidy.

anyway, why is .rar treated as a default extension for a video file anyway? video files typically compress very poorly, so what's the point. i can understand some people might need this functionality, but they can just add the .rar extension in the advancedsettings.xml. no need to make it a non-removable default.
scene standard is to release series, movies rared. it is quite convinient to be able to watch them without having to unrar them
but surely the people who don't want to bother unrarring can simply put the .rar extension in advancedsettings.xml? the other people shouldn't have to suffer cluttered lists for them?
might be useful to be able to overide some default settings completely, rather than just add to the default lists.

maybe we need an advancedadvancedsettings.xml :nuts:

i can see that if you don't keep rared/zipped vids it would be very annoying to have your rared subs come up in my videos along with the videos.
sorry that you have to suffer under our terrible reign of having limited time.

- 11-06-2006 changed: you can now also remove extensions using advancedsettings.xml (see manual).

and we certainly won't remove by default (you are the first to complain).
thank you so very much. i'm off to read the manual to see how this works. thanks again for honoring the request of a humble xbmc user. and thanks for all your great work on an awesome xbox application. looking forward to 2.0 going "gold". Smile
thanks from me too! no problem that it stays in by default, just happy that we can customize however we want.

thanks!