Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can't play any movie with Motu Audio Express
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am using a Motu Audio Express via USB on a Macbook Pro 15 Retina, with Kodi Helix Alpha 3

When playing a movie, the audio interface seems to change the sampling frequency repeatedly ("plop" in speakers), but there is no sound. In addition, the reported frame rate drops to around 11 fps and the movie stutters and stops intermittently.

Via internal audio output everything works fine, but with the Audio Express I can't watch any movie.

Here's a debug log, let me know if you need anything else!

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=287307

Thanks
smb1234
Ok please try to explicitly select that device in XBMC instead of using default (this device appears 4 times with each 2 channels - this is due to the structure the driver is presenting its 8 channels to XBMC - just select the one with the channels you want and report back).
You're right, there are 4 different combinations of channels. I tried each one, unsuccessfully. Here's the log:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=288273

Thanks
smb1234

@memphiz: Just after I posted my answer I got it working by playing with the audio options!

If I select Output Configuration: "Fixed" and set the same sampling rate (e.g. 96 kHz) as in the "Motu Audio Setup Utility" (which is the hardware configuration program for this interface) it works! "Best match" and "Optimized" don't work.

Now it would be nice to have autodetection of the sampling rate, but otherwise I am quite happy.

Thanks for your efforts of bringing us the best media center software!
smb1234
Don't expect anything like that (its not ment to work like that in CoreAudio). Imo this points to a bit weired implementation of the Apple CoreAudio HAL by the manufacturer of your audio card.
They should accept changes for samplerate from the HAL - this is what XBMC uses and also does - and the Motu driver reports back that it changed the refreshrate successfully. (which it doesn't as it seems).