Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Poor DVD video quality with newest build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i have been using the same build for about 3 months now with no problems whatsoever. the only issue is the lag between menu screens (namely when it browses the movie shar on my mediaserver which has about 225 movies...the new version is much faster). i wanted to update to the latest versin to check out the new xbox360 skin. i renamed my current xbmc folder to xbmc-old and did a fresh install of the 666 build and set all of my preferences to exactly the way they were with the previous build (particularly the video settings...720p, hardware overlays, no soften, no flicker, etc).

has anyone noticed a considerable degredation in video quality between the latest build(s) and previous ones? i do not claim to ve a videofile but i could definitely see a difference. the picture was "fuzzy", the colors didn't snap, etc. it was noticeable enough to me that i had my gf suit down a look (who knows nothing). i placed the same movie (same scene in finding nemo) on both builds and asked her which she thought looked better. without hesitation she pickes the older build.

i am really just interested to see if anyone has had a similar experience and if this is a known issue (or is there is an easy fix).

thanks in advance for the help! i continue to recommend xbmc to everyone i know and demo it all of the time for them. you work is truly amazing.

john

ps. just as a sidenot, i still prefer the project mayhem skin. no knock on the new one...just a preference. Smile
no changes in that code that i'm aware of.

there's a simple test.

take a screenshot with both builds of the same frame. then compare. ideally you'd do this with a renderer other than the hardware overlays one - i suggest doing it with both that and the hq renderer (the hwo renderer screenshot is not what you see on screen).

cehers,
jonathan
ok, since a while the "interlaced" filter for dvds is defaulted to "none" instead of "auto". maybe this is responsible for the choppy playback.

while playing a dvd go to the player menu and select video-settings. now have a look at your "interlaced" settings. also you might want to play around with your contrast and gamma settings. save as default and this gets saved.
i have not observed any quality drops.

with interlaced artifacting, some examples of what that looks like can be seen here:

http://www.100fps.com/
is deinterlaced off by default? my dvd's look horrible in 480p using the built in dvd player for xbmc, i use dvd2x with the 480p hex edit and they look stunning. i now have xbmc launch dvd2x as my dvd player. would love to use the built in dvd player if possible.
yes it is off by default. all of these things are explained in the xbmc manual.