Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How do I unconditionally disable auto metadata search
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd really like to know how we are supposed to unequivocally and absolutely disable the all-intrusive automatic metadata fetching that takes place every time XBMC starts. It is beyond annoying and I frankly don't give a damn about metadata if fetching it is going to hang the app for 5 minutes EVERY time I start it. That's what it does. I just sit there until it's done because I can't even open an add-on until it is. I want to be able to start and go without the wait. I'm not even sure if the metadata is for streams or just for files. The worst offender is the stupid TVDB. I have like 4 TV shows on disk that never change, and yet it takes most of the 5 minutes to fetch TV show data. I uninstalled most of the scraper add-ons except TVDB which can't be uninstalled, and disabled 'Update library on startup', but this behavior still persists. How can I permanently disable it?
I would have suggested disabling Update on Startup but of course you already have. Perhaps you have some other add-on that is prompting the scans. Maybe Watchdog or XBMC Library Updater. If you enable debug logging you may be able to see what is calling for the scans. The scrapers only run when called so they're probably not your problem.

You can also set your video source to not be scanned but that will mean that new videos won't get included in your library.
(2014-09-09, 01:25)wgstarks Wrote: [ -> ]I would have suggested disabling Update on Startup but of course you already have. Perhaps you have some other add-on that is prompting the scans. Maybe Watchdog or XBMC Library Updater. If you enable debug logging you may be able to see what is calling for the scans. The scrapers only run when called so they're probably not your problem.

You can also set your video source to not be scanned but that will mean that new videos won't get included in your library.

Thanks for your fast reply. I don't have Watchdog or XBMC Library Updater (did you mean XBMC Library Auto Update?) installed. I have debug mode permanently enabled but I could find nothing unusual. What would I search for?
(2014-09-09, 08:32)XBMCMBX Wrote: [ -> ]I have debug mode permanently enabled but I could find nothing unusual. What would I search for?

Don't have a clue. Not a coder. Sorry. Have you tried the update in background? On my system this will allow me to navigate screens and such. If I start a video the update will pause until the video is finished.

Also, I think that some smart playlists can cause an update. I could be wrong but I expect that the software would scan your library looking for videos that match the criteria for the playlist. Just a guess but might help.
(2014-09-09, 14:33)wgstarks Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried the update in background? On my system this will allow me to navigate screens and such. If I start a video the update will pause until the video is finished.

Also, I think that some smart playlists can cause an update. I could be wrong but I expect that the software would scan your library looking for videos that match the criteria for the playlist. Just a guess but might help.

What do you mean by 'update in background'? I found no setting to do that. I don't have any playlists.

I found a lot of metadata fetching for 1Channel so I changed the settings to not auto update metadata and also enabled the cache.
Settings>Video>Library>Hide progress of library updates.

Can't help with the piracy addons. Would be a violation of the forum rules.
(2014-09-09, 19:45)wgstarks Wrote: [ -> ]Settings>Video>Library>Hide progress of library updates.

I'll give it a try but won't that just hide the progress without preventing it from freezing the app?

Quote:Can't help with the piracy addons. Would be a violation of the forum rules.

Huh?
Yes. It will hide the progress bar.
(2014-09-09, 20:15)XBMCMBX Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Can't help with the piracy addons. Would be a violation of the forum rules.

Huh?

For the most part, tons of free movies and TV shows with no commercials and no strings attached at all is typically not "legal" in most places. Why would anyone pay for those services if it was legal? 1Channel specifically sure as heck isn't legal.

See forum rules (wiki).