Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Official Commercial Apps included In Kodi?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2014-09-11, 16:16)raid517 Wrote: [ -> ]However I think that one of the things I would like to see for the future of XBMC is a move away from the amateur (and often extremely illicit) apps that are supplied via the XBMC community.

The vast majority of apps on the iOS App Store or on Google Play are pretty crappy. Thousands of games, apps, and utilities that I would never consider installing. The existence of amateur content does not cause the lack of "professional" content.

Quote:Currently the majority of XBMC apps are of a very poor quality. Netflix or LoveFilm this isn't. If you only care about stealing movies this system is for you. But if you want quality apps like Flickr, Facebook, Twitter etc, XBMC will disappoint. What apps there are qualify as barely adequate.

You have an idea in your head that is fundamentally wrong. That idea is that XBMC/Kodi is focused on streaming media. It is not. There are improvements being made in that area, but to this day the main focus, the main priority, has always been to the local file library. The vast majority of your argument is that we should be some Roku-like platform that caters to streaming media. That's not what this group wants to do. We do not provide services or content. We do not do business deals and rub elbows with content providers to make them happy. We made a program we like, because that's what we like, and we're happy to share it with other people. It's as simple as that.

Quote:Illicit apps that download pirated content are fine, I don't really care about this (as this is what most XBMC apps seem to do), but ultimately they may damage the reputation of the foundation, particularly if this is all XBMC does. As strange as it may seem to some people, large numbers of ordinary people are not interested in accessing pirated content. They see themselves as honest and preferring to make honest choices.

That's one of the major reasons we made a huge deal about trademarking the new name, to protect our reputation. For the last couple of years we've been fighting this misconception very strongly (because we could not control the previous "XBMC" brand name), while at the same time not restricting users freedom. We are not a closed ecosystem, and it is no business of ours how people choose to use the software in their homes. We can do some things to help our brand and image outside of that, but we are not willing to shoot ourselves to do it. Nor can we, given the open source nature of the software. It's simply not possible to stop people from making add-ons when we are open source. All of our restrictions would be public and trivial to bypass.

Quote:So if I were to say what I would like to see as the biggest change for the future, it is the provision of quality apps (and perhaps an app store) in XBMC. You guys might think it's a crazy idea, but I will bet you every last dollar you have if you go to any of these large companies, they will flock to try to help you with development for apps for their platforms (and money too for that matter.)

Like OUYA? I like OUYA, but very few companies (and none of the content giants) have flocked to them. Their entire business model is around their app store.

I have no problem with the idea of a showcase of some kind to have really good add-ons stand out, but that in itself does little to nothing to encourage big content owners to us. The real issue is that they're already making tons of money in existing channels, and for existing products and devices that exist for their services. Supporting an open source program is a risk, and our small user base (when compared to the mainstream, we are so very small), it's just not worth it for the bean counters.

Quote:You already have a vast audience - and next to Microsoft Media centre, XBMC (or Kodi) is probably the most used Media Centre software in the world. Why exactly shouldn't the foundation earn revenue from this, and at the same time vastly improve the XBMC user experience? As what I assume is a charitable foundation there is no limit to the good that could be done with the money that is made.

We actually have more money than we need, in context to our current goals for this year. Our users have been extremely supportive, and we even have a few companies who sponsor us as well. You can't throw money at something and just expect good to be done. There's a whole organizational layer that is missing that would be needed to expand and create new programs or community efforts, and we don't have that right now. It would be great if we could evolve to "Mozilla-like" status one day, but the hold up isn't money. Other things have to evolve and grow before we can use that money wisely.

So I see where you are going from all of this, but again, I think it stems from a fundamental misconception of what our goals are and have been for the last 10 years.

Personally, I think in time the "unthinkable" will happen and that more video content will be available without DRM content. Eventually content providers will learn to adapt their business model to just selling content, rather than trying to control the entire experience. Kodi will one day be able to stream most major services due to server-side precautions, rather than user-side DRM. I think this because it's already happened with music, and that was just as unthinkable. I think will be a nice bonus, but it won't really be a change in how Kodi is made. I think by that time Kodi will simply see streaming content as just another generic source, and the focus will still be on allowing people to control how their library is displayed and organized.

Maybe that won't ever happen, but I find it more likely than a future where Kodi rejects the user's control in favor of streaming services.
i read this as you want an extremely polished and robust free program that can play all of your poor quality legally streamed movies, wrong way round IMO

i would sooner a cut down version of Kodi with no bells and whistles that allows me to play my legally ripped movies in full quality with all the bells and whistles which it does already very well and fyi i have a 152mb cable but streaming to me is awfull

and for the love of god don't become Google or Mozilla we already have enough companies making money on our personal info then forcing us with crap from the sponsors to make even more money(yes they do good but at the end of the day there all about the dollar)
@raid517 - i suggest that you write an email to the major content providers (maxdome, netflix, watchever, amazon) and ask on how we can integrate their VOD services into Kodi. IIRC we already did that - but maybe its good for you to experience the result of such an email (which will most likely beeing ignored or just a nonono).

At least for me your posts sounded like we didn't ask yet - so i just wanted to clarify that we did (at least if i remember correctly).

Also as a side note - XBMC Foundation is their since years - its nothing which was invented during the name change to Kodi (and has nothing to do with the kind the mozilla foundation is acting...)
(2014-09-11, 20:24)raid517 Wrote: [ -> ]But if the Kodi development team have dug their heels in on the point of DRM, then it looks like long term stagnation can be the only outcome for this project. I repeat - and I think the evidence is overwhelming for this, that when you give users the choice of quality apps (or in this case 'scripts') for XBMC and off access to a large body of legit content at reasonable prices, the vast majority of users will prefer this over illicit sources. It is as I said, almost certainly exclusively a symptom of a lack of choice.

While streaming is ok for the masses it's not ok for those of us that want control over our media consumption and want a quality experience.

For a start streaming services are too fragmented, here in the UK for example I'd have to sign up to at least 3 services (Sky, Lovefilm, Netflix) to get access to the majority of legally available content due to various exclusivity deals. Why should it be any different from the old physical experience? I used to be able to join any video shop and go in and rent the latest titles, there's was no sorry we don't have that as it's an exclusive for the shop down the road.

I also want the ability to archive anything I pay for and be able to use it on any device I want, simply because I don't trust the content providers or service providers as they currently are. Perhaps they might deem a certain film is not popular enough, or perhaps the licence deal for a certain movie expires so it get withdrawn from the streaming service, so I want my own copies I'll always have access to.

Last but not least, I want the same quality as I currently get from physical formats that have been ripped, so not crappy compressed streams with stereo only audio which is what still by far the majority of streaming services offer.

So until they offer full access, full control, and full quality then count me out of streaming services, and I suspect there are more than enough others of similar opinion to keep Kodi going.
(2014-09-12, 02:00)produno Wrote: [ -> ]Secondly, I don't see the problem everyone has with DRM media or someone like Netflix creating an app for Kodi. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

(2014-09-12, 13:15)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]While streaming is ok for the masses it's not ok for those of us that want control over our media consumption and want a quality experience.

For a start streaming services are too fragmented, here in the UK for example I'd have to sign up to at least 3 services (Sky, Lovefilm, Netflix) to get access to the majority of legally available content due to various exclusivity deals. Why should it be any different from the old physical experience? I used to be able to join any video shop and go in and rent the latest titles, there's was no sorry we don't have that as it's an exclusive for the shop down the road.

I also want the ability to archive anything I pay for and be able to use it on any device I want, simply because I don't trust the content providers or service providers as they currently are. Perhaps they might deem a certain film is not popular enough, or perhaps the licence deal for a certain movie expires so it get withdrawn from the streaming service, so I want my own copies I'll always have access to.

Last but not least, I want the same quality as I currently get from physical formats that have been ripped, so not crappy compressed streams with stereo only audio which is what still by far the majority of streaming services offer.

So until they offer full access, full control, and full quality then count me out of streaming services, and I suspect there are more than enough others of similar opinion to keep Kodi going.

I know your post was aimed at Raid, but it explains to me why some of you are against this DRM thing. Which i can now understand fully.

Though just out of curiosity. If lovefilm as an example approached the Team Kodi Dev team and proposed to create an app exclusive for Kodi with DRM streamed media, what would your answers be?

Secondly and going off on a slight tangent. What is your stance on someone like Sky offering a nowtv app to enable integration of premium paid live TV streams?
(2014-09-12, 13:51)produno Wrote: [ -> ]Though just out of curiosity. If lovefilm as an example approached the Team Kodi Dev team and proposed to create an app exclusive for Kodi with DRM streamed media, what would your answers be?

Secondly and going off on a slight tangent. What is your stance on someone like Sky offering a nowtv app to enable integration of premium paid live TV streams?

If it was a binary add-on that in no way impacted the freedom of the core app then sure it would probably be welcome, keeping the streams locked to their satisfaction might need some changes to the API's. Not sure if it's at all possible because I'm not one of the dev's, but I wonder if it's possible for a binary addon to supply it's own player as an internal player, so for those streams the binary player would be used rather than the normal dvdplayer in core.

Btw, someone has already developed an unofficial Sky Go addon.
Thanks for the reply.

I dont think anyone wants to jeopardize the freedom of the core app. But if what you say is possible, i think its the only way something like this can happen, which is obviously a long shot, but we can all hope.

Im not sure if the Sky Go addon works with the NowTV subscription. Though ideally we wouldnt need the Sky Go addon... Smile
(2014-09-12, 04:05)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Currently the majority of XBMC apps are of a very poor quality. Netflix or LoveFilm this isn't. If you only care about stealing movies this system is for you. But if you want quality apps like Flickr, Facebook, Twitter etc, XBMC will disappoint. What apps there are qualify as barely adequate.

You have an idea in your head that is fundamentally wrong. That idea is that XBMC/Kodi is focused on streaming media. It is not. There are improvements being made in that area, but to this day the main focus, the main priority, has always been to the local file library. The vast majority of your argument is that we should be some Roku-like platform that caters to streaming media. That's not what this group wants to do. We do not provide services or content. We do not do business deals and rub elbows with content providers to make them happy. We made a program we like, because that's what we like, and we're happy to share it with other people. It's as simple as that.
That deserves repeating, I agree 100% In addition, why must it be included in XBMC when that content is available on pretty much every connected device. Personally I'm sick and tired of being taken advantage by that market, it's not a selling point anymore if everybody offers it, that's why I use XBMC.
(2014-09-11, 23:27)Fice Wrote: [ -> ]Why is it xbmc's problem if everyone joins the drm waggon? I doubt that anyone on team xbmc has any issues with a netflix addon. It is netflix that has an issue with 3rd party software playing their content. Same for spotify et. al. You should complain at their homepage. It is their choice, not xbmc's.

What you want is the freedom to access the content the way you want it. That is the idea behind xbmc.
Drm is a system to prevent users from accessing the content the way they want it, because the content provider doesn't trust YOU!

DRM and open source doesn't work. DRM and xbmc doesn't work.

I agree 100%, that if the OP wants Netflix, Hulu etc then they should lobby the providers not XBMC.ORG. In addition, the Netflix, Hulu's, Pandora's of this world are currently limited by the individual distribution rights and copyright (they are different for each country) owners of the material provided, hence Netflix has different shows available in the US than in Canada and Pandora is not available at all in Canada.

Trying to push all that onto XBMC.ORG is just not realistic.

Personally I use XBMC for playing my stored (and "owned") media from my media server, not for streaming. Well I do stream the Weather...lol
I'm another who's not convinced by streaming media becoming the 'standard' in the next few years, overtaking physical media. With 4K here/on the way, and the fact that broadband speeds are at best barely adequate to handle 1080i streams, it's going to be quite some considerable time before the likes of Netflix, Hulu and so on are going to be entertaining the idea of streaming 4K material in any great numbers. Most of the stuff they distribute is SD...broadband speeds just aren't keeping up with whatever the next standard resolution of media is, or is becoming.

Not to mention the fact that a great many ISPs are pushing to charge the likes of Netflix and so on for the vast amount of bandwidth they're using...if that happens (I hope it doesn't), then you can count on those costs being passed on to the consumer, less media being available as they get rid of even more of the less watched material, and physical media starts becoming more attractive all of a sudden.

Right now (at some considerable cost), I can buy a 4K TV, hook it up to a 4K player and my HTPC and know that I am ready for 4K media as it becomes available now. It'll take streaming services and broadband speeds/bandwidth 10 years to catch up to that. Physical media wins.

In the meantime, I'll be using XBMC to pretty up my ripped physical media into a lovely library, which is exactly what it's for.
Commercial HTML5 apps such as NetFlix could possibly be added to Kodi someday in an modern embedded HTML engine/player was integrated into Kodi somehow

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=25

(2014-08-14, 08:43)topfs2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-13, 14:02)Fice Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-13, 13:31)Hedda Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-12, 21:15)Fice Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-12, 17:59)Hedda Wrote: [ -> ]Netflix is now working natively on Linux under Google's Chrome web browser with DRM'ed HTML5 video support

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...px=MTc1ODY

HTML5 addons are the perfect example why Kodi needs an integrated HTML5 engine like Blink or WebKit
So chrome has some specialized DRM code! That's not standard, not open, not nothing... a full blown HTML5 browser would still not work, without that proprietary extension.
Encrypted Media Extensions (EME) for DRM are an official W3C open standards for the HTML5 web standard

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-fi...media.html

W3C standards are not proprietary, and they can be open source for free without need to pay royalties

http://www.w3.org/Consortium/mission.html

Some more background about Encrypted Media Extensions (EME) for DRM in the media here

http://boingboing.net/2013/10/02/w3c-gre...rm-to.html
http://arstechnica.com/information-techn...n-firefox/
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/10/lo...-standards
It say's little about the DRM stuff itself. A Browser could of course imlplement an open source DRM module, but DRM doesn't work once everyone knows how it works.

It says more about the industry as such. Most of the DRM process is fine to do floss. The streams can be secured by encryption, just because the code is open to view does not mean that the content encrypted would be just because you have the code. SSL and SSH is examples of this already. The industry wanting DRM is just overly cautious and doesn't only want to control the stream, the authentication but also the playback device. There are already plenty of options for the first parts, its the final part they are so stupidly holding on to.

What they are scared of is that a person which can authenticate will use a software to download and possibly distribute the content, thats why they feel that they desperately has to control the playback application because they won't trust the users.
It's probably worth noting that I've personally been trying to convince the Netflixs of the world to let us work with them on binary addons since at least two years ago. The interest simply isn't there right now. Complain to them.
(2014-09-14, 06:55)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]The interest simply isn't there right now.

I think the thread I posted on the previous page drives this point home. Only 26 signatures to get Netflix on Kodi. Im sure its been running a couple of weeks too... Not a good sign and I would bet Netflix will want more like 260,000+ to even consider...
(2014-09-14, 06:55)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]It's probably worth noting that I've personally been trying to convince the Netflixs of the world to let us work with them on binary add-ons since at least two years ago. The interest simply isn't there right now. Complain to them.

Again, not a complaint. Just a discussion. Some guys here seem to have a weird aversion to discussion on what is titled a 'discussion forum' lol, As I said think of only a few years ago what was thought of as being unthinkable. Now look where things are. Its sad I feel that there are guys here who seem to almost want nothing to change though. I can't help but be at least partially suspicious of their motivations. I'm sure the rest is down to some old-school hangups about DRM issues etc.

To be clear for me, this would make more sense on all of the little dedicated embedded media players that are popping up (like those using OpenElec or similar) where a desktop isn't an option.

If what you say is correct and you have meaningful influence in the project (I doubt just some guy emailing them would catch anyone's attention), then that is a little odd and frustrating. But maybe that is also due to an image problem and the previous belief that XBMC was an illicit project running on a propitiatory platform, using a stolen SDK to facilitate this?. Maybe this whole Kodi re-branding thing, along with more effective marketing of this new brand, could help put the past firmly behind this project. (What the hey, you can only hope for the best.) Otherwise as great as the project is, you may be stuck with a platform that has nowhere to go.

Maybe too with the new binary add on system (or whatever its called) you could get smaller scale professional developers on-board first - and hope the big guys come along later. Small beginnings, etc

For me at leas if there was an app store and quality apps, costing similar to Android or iOS apps, I would have no problem at all paying for these..

But moving away from any (even incidental) focus on using Kodi as a primary means for accessing illegal content could I feel only be useful in the long term. I know the official repositories don't facilitate this, but there are a great many scripts and installers that do - and while they do I suspect you are right that Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Streaming video etc. will ever come on board.

The DRM issue is fine and noble and justified - if a little old. But sometimes in some contexts, it can seem difficult to pick apart the anti-drm argument, from those who just wish to continue to be able to access illegal content - and of course no company will really want their name associated with anything that even vaguely resembles criminal culpability.
That's the thing here, you think kodi is going nowhere, the fact is most users are than happy with the exciting directions it is going in.
Pages: 1 2 3 4