Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi and H265
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With Kodi beta's on the horizon, I am starting to get interested in H265. How can I tell if my card decodes H265? My machines are in my sig. I'm wondering if I'll need to upgrade anything in order to take advantage of it.
(2014-09-11, 18:27)patseguin Wrote: [ -> ]With Kodi beta's on the horizon, I am starting to get interested in H265. How can I tell if my card decodes H265? My machines are in my sig. I'm wondering if I'll need to upgrade anything in order to take advantage of it.

no card decodes h265
it's all software
Ah, I didn't know that
Well, ripping seems to be an issue. I am trying a movie in H265 right now in DVDFab and it says time left 6 hours 47 minutes

EDIT: now is says 9 hours 34 minutes remaining. Seems like H265 isn't quite ready yet. I would if any other ripper does 265 yet.
Divx have a HEVC encoder (for some reason HEVC seems to have taken root over H.265).

x265 is in getting close to x264 though there are those on Doom9 who say it's still not quite as good, the Hybrid encoder uses x265 as does Ripbot264.
(2014-09-12, 01:49)patseguin Wrote: [ -> ]Well, ripping seems to be an issue. I am trying a movie in H265 right now in DVDFab and it says time left 6 hours 47 minutes

EDIT: now is says 9 hours 34 minutes remaining. Seems like H265 isn't quite ready yet. I would if any other ripper does 265 yet.

H.265 requires lots of complex calculations, how else do you think it can halve the size of a rip? unless you have a high end CPU then the task of doing those calculations is likely going to take a long time. It was similar when H.264 first started out, again long rip times were the norm but over time the encoders become better and more efficient, also what was a high end cpu eventually becomes a low end cpu, so ripping times gradually come down as the format becomes more mature and hardware/software is updated.
I have a core i7 extreme processor and 24GB RAM. I guess it will take quantum computing to do it in any reasonable time. I took a 24GB movie last night and converted it to a 4GB H265 file in Handbrake but it took 2-1/2 hours.
2.5h is totally reasonable for a new video codec.