Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Airplay not stable; sometimes doesn't show as available, sometimes audio only
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm fairly new to XBMC/Kodi; I've mainly started using Xbian on my R-Pi to replace my Apple TV.

Setup: Xbian Beta 2 (so based on 12.2 with 13.0 backend) on R-Pi B board connected over Wifi, static IP.
XBMC 13.1 on WIndows 7 64-Bit wired into the network, static IP.
Posting in the general section because it seems to happen on both setups. I'm only really interested in getting it going on the Pi; but it doesn't seem like its just a Pi problem.

Issue: Airplay doesn't always even show up as an option from my iDevices; sometimes when it does show up its displayed as an audio-only receiver. When something is playing to it (i.e. it's shown up as a receiver) then it stays visible and plays no problem. Also, it seems that when I have XBMC running on the PC, it blots out the Pi. I can't be certain given the intermittent nature of what I have already; but earlier I had it visible from the PC, and as soon as I closed it, the Pi became visible.

I've had a couple of other issues, but the only one that I've not been able to resolve is Airplay.
I don't know a huge amount about what I'm doing with the Pi (yet; I have another one to play with, plus I'm on an electronics degree); but I know the basics about SSHing in and stuff; so with fairly details guidance I can probably do pretty much anything.
Help? But be gentle! :p
You can read this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=179961 It explains why airplay does sometimes show as Audio only. You have to wait a couple of seconds until the screen shows up. This is the behaviour on iOS 7 devices. Apple is more and more complicating the protocol and they will make opensource implementations useless with iOS 8.
I had found that thread, but its 42 pages long and all I saw was posted results for a few pages.
So you mean there's not going to be a way to do it once I update to iOS 8? No amount of reverse engineering is going to help?
Don't buy proprietary apple shit if you want to use those toys in a way Apple does not make money with you in the future is the great gospel from all those threads. It's all about their politics and the user does not have a right to decide he just is forced to pay.

That's a nice working business and Apple is one of the richest companies by just making sure the apple hw and sw are bundled and dongled and closed. Hail Apple. And hail to all brains that buy it.
Reverse engineering is nearly impossible since all airplay stuff is encrypted nowadays. The unencrypted path XBMC uses (from ios4.x times) is what apple seems to destroy with ios8.

Also the sluggish behaviour with ios7 devices (audio only target) should be solved since gotham or so. (If this still doesn't work for you please give current alpha versions a try - also it really depends on the used network components/router if the multicast stuff works as intended).