Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Music Library issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Windows 7 64 bit, Kodi ALPHA

I've re-tagged all my music using Picard and scanned it into the library, so far so good. Now if I set the display option to include all artists in compilations, I get this display when I display the library via ARTIST:

Alan Parsons
The Alan Parsons Project

If I then switch to not include artists in compilations, and then display via ARTISTS, I get

Alan Parsons
The Alan Parsons Project
The Alan Parsons Project

I get 4 Bruce Springsteen's and various other artists duplicated - all ARTISTS include the same albums - I can't work out why it should put multiple items when I ask to ignore complication artists.

Thanks in advance

Sorry please ignore - its working now - no idea what went wrong and what fixed it
I've found out what causes it - if you have enable "override with online information", you get duplicate Artist names, if you switch it off, you don't - HELP
it may not be that simple, fire up mp3tag and view the extended tags. sometimes there are differences in spelling etc, from one track to the next. usually the fault of where you got your files from.... cough.
Files were all ripped from my CD collection and tags were updated using PICARD with the option set to remove all existing tags - something is not working right but I can't pin it down to why it's just some artists
I've checked the tags with mp3tag, they're OK. I've re-tagged with PICARD a la http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=198670. If I add the single artist files, everything is ok, if I add my Various Artists files, I get duplicate entries.

However, I get duplicate entries such as The Alan Parsons Project - there isn't a track on any of the various artists albums.

Does anyone know what SQL queries are used for display artists (with and without compilation artists) or does anyone know a way forward?

I'm using a central MariaDB database on Synology NAS if that makes a difference
@Davey, do you use mp3tag at all? if so I'd suggest opening the problematic files, select all then do Alt+T, this shows additional tags i.e. ALBUMARTIST & ALBUM ARTIST and ALBUMSORTARTIST.

I've found that duplicate artist entries can be from different values in these additional tags, when I've set them all the same then generally it corrects the issue, not always though!
I experienced the same problem. As a test I created a new (dummy) artist and added some music files as an album. I retagged them using MusicBee and checked that the only artist related tags where "Artist" and "Album Artist". Both had the same value of "The Dummies".
I let XBMC update the library and the new artist appeared. No duplicates yet.

After that I added another album to the same artist folder and copied the music files from the first album to the second album. I only changed the year and album tag and left the Artist and Album artist as they where.
I rescanned the library and lo and behold, I had a duplicate artist!

Both artists have identical contents, Both albums appear in both artists entry of the library, they point to the same music files. Only one entry is made in the SQL database, so no duplicates there.
If I enter the second of the duplicate artist in the library, and then go back the the artist list, the selection is on the FIRST of the duplicate artist, not the second one that I entered.

I tested in XBMC 13.1 and 13.2, using confluence and hybrid skin. Files are on a synology NAS (SMB share), database is MySQL on same NAS.
@Mike_Doc - the tags are identical when checked in MP3TAG. If I display all ARTISTS including those in compilations albums, I get no duplicates, if I then switch to exclude ARTISTS only in compilations and re-display by ARTIST I get duplicates, up to 10 copies. All duplicate entries have the identical albums in them and when I use the backspace key I always go to the 1st entry, regardless of which entry I viewed
can you post the musicbrainz links for 2 of the affected albums? preferably one of the various artist ones and a solo alan parsons one?
I've found the problem - corrupt tags in one album - looked OK from MP3TAG but as soon as I scanned it, all results were messed up - thanks for the help. I'm currently re-tagging all my music to ensure things are perfect (OCD on my part) - 2/3 the way through and no issues.
Could you please state what was corrupt, how you found it and how you fixed it, it's helpful if you supply the solution considering you say MP3TAG looked ok and what you are doing in the re-tagging. Like you I use the music side and suffer from problems so if you could let us know the solution it may benefit others.
I found it by scanning single albums at a time and then re-checking the artist display. One album caused all the problems, even though it didn't contain the artists that were being duplicated. I checked that album with MP3TAG and everything looked fine, when I loaded it into Picard, a couple of the tracks showed the green box (rather than green tick), so I re-saved the tags. I then dropped the database from MariaDB & re-built the database. So far 2,000 albums in and no issues, another 1,000 albums to go.

The best advice 've seen is in this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=198670 - I have about 500 albums not in Musicbrainz, mainly obscure Bootlegs from the 70s - I'm going to either add them to Musicbrainz. The new MBIDs have caused me loads of issues but when everything is tagged correctly using Picard, I find it a great improvement.
Thanks Davey.
@Davey: Definitely add them to Musicbrainz, I know its a pain in the ass but it helps out the community. Glad you got your tagging issues sorted out, and once you add MBID's you never go back. So much better.