Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can XBMC/Kodi meet my needs? (with description of equipment and objectives)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have:

Synology DS214play
Apple TV
Chromecast
Roku

I want to stream MKV files directly from my NAS - complete with chapters and subtitles (.srt) - to my TV and iPad.
Ideally, I'd like to be able to access my files away from home.

Basically, I want PLEX with support for MKV chapters. :-)
Currently, the only way to get chapters with PLEX is to connect a dedicated PC running "PLEX Home Theater" to each TV on which one wishes to play the MKVs, which is beyond impractical for me. Otherwise, all of the PLEX clients transcode the MKVs into another format that doesn't support chapters.

Remote access isn't absolutely essential, but being able to jump from chapter to chapter is. (My sole motivation for this setup is having the most flexible and convenient access possible to homeschooling videos that have dozens of lessons per "DVD".)

Can XBMC/Kodi handle all of this itself? If not, can it be used in combination with another product(s) to meet my needs?

Thank you!
XBMC/Kodi is meant to be connected to a dedicated PC (or low powered ARM device, such as Android TV or Raspberry Pi) which is then connected to each TV. XBMC/Kodi has some basic server abilities, but really is meant to be used "directly",
even more so than a Plex setup.
I'm not familiar with Raspberry Pi, but it looks like it may be something I could dedicate to my main TV. What about XMBC/Kodi on a jailbroken iPad? Does it just play whatever has been downloaded directly to the iPad (with no server streaming functionality)? I apologize for what probably seem to be silly questions. I've been reading SO much about SO many media players that my eyes are crossing.
XBMC runs fantastically on a jailbroken iPad. I use XBMC often on my own iPad. It even works with the HDMI adapter.

All versions of XBMC can access network file shares. We just don't normally refer to them as "servers" in the same context of Plex, but you can host the media on just about anything on the network and have XBMC play it.

No worries about the questions. It can be a lot to take in :)