Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Karaoke add-on with song queueing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I'm a bit of an XBMC/Kodi noob. Been using it for a week now but have also been lurking on these forums for the past few months when doing research for an HTPC set up.

I would love to get a true Karaoke Bar experience using XBMC. I have tried Fusion's XBMC Karaoke Add-on, and Xfinity's Mikeys Karaoke so far.
I like the libraries in both, and very easy to search, BUT I find it useless is you can't add a song queue on the fly while playing another song. There is no way I can hold a karaoke party if we can't seamlessly put together a queue of songs that just autoplay after the last song is finished.

So I would like to know, am I missing anything with both add-ons above? Are there features I don't know about that will allow me to add a song to a list? I know you can favourite songs, but it's not the same. You still have to go to your favourites list after a song has ended.

If not, are there alternative ways to get what I want? Are there other karaoke add-ons I don't know about?
Can XBMC's built-in karaoke function do what I want?

Thanks all.
I haven't tried and can't till I get home, but I was wondering something. In the yatse xbmc remote for android, you can interact with your addons via a menu option. I have streamed videos from my xbmc box while using addons, but not tried doing it while watching something on the player itself. So the thought would be to start your song and see if you can use yatse without interrupting what you're doing. I will try it when I get home and check back later as well to see if anyone else tries it before I do.
This actually was working fairly well in xbmc (apparenly broken in Kodi - so I haven't updated to it yet).

I print out my karaoke list (from karaoke settings, export karaoke library to csv, import into spreadsheet program, make pretty/sort by songs and also by artist, and print out)

- additionally, if I've updated the library and the numbers in my printout are all wrong (separate issue hopefully to be fixed), I can export to an html file, and put that in my local webserver. Visitors can then pull up that page in their phones/tablets and browse / search for the song they want. This method doesn't let you sort by both artists and song title, thought

I then have a remote with a number pad on it, as well as a wireless keyboard which circulate.
The guests may type in the number and press okay or enter. As they are typing it up, a small display on the top right of the screen appears, with the identified song title appearing. Press okay / enter, and it gets added to the queue.

There was one playlist option that had to be turned off for this to work (can't remember the setting, but it basically had caused it to advance to the next song alphabetically, rather than the next song in the playlist that had been created)
There may have been a setting in the settings >karaoke settings section to enable this.

I've found this closely resembles the karaoke box experience, and was fairly happy with it.

--

The bug for karaoke is that the numbering system is broken. The effect was that once you add your karaoke library once, if you add more media and then update the library, the numbers continue on as expected, but all the old songs are lost from the library. Should be an easy fix, but there aren't many developers actively focused on the feature, and the code apparently is pretty messy and scattered throughout.
The solution is:
1) stick with XBMC until this is fixed
2) create a separate user for karaoke (and thus a separate database) from your regular media library of music/videos
3) accumulate new karaoke songs, waiting until you have a significant group, then do a bigger update. Clear/empty the database, then re-scan the whole library.
4) re-print / re-produce your song menu, as the numbers will likely have changed.

Perhaps there are developers willing to be enticed to work on updating/fixing/maintaining this feature, if they don't already have an interest?
- I know I'm happy to contribute to a bounty/fund
I am also into karaoke. I have HiMedia Q10 IV android box. Most of the karaoke on Kodi, I don't see that you can add songs in queue list. I found 1 android app call Smart Karaoke Player that able to do queue list and also allow another android as remote to input song #, but it cost $25 to activate forever. I would pay some $ if they could make a good karaoke addon in Kodi, or in android