Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: change forward jump length & sync volume control
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
XBMC 13.2 (Gotham)

I have two issues that I need help with. I've googled and searched on this forum and didn't find exactly what I was looking for and/or didn't understand the instructions.
I am new to XBMC and Ubuntu, so please be very detailed and thorough in your responses/instructions.

1) I want one volume control.
Increasing volume inside XBMC is separate from increasing volume outside of XBMC.
Let's say that I have the volume to 50% and then I start XBMC, while inside XBMC I set the audio level to 50% as well. The result is 50% of 50% audio output. So it seems that I have two separate volume controls that works independently. Is there a way to change this so they are synced?

2) I want to change forward/backwards jump length.
Today it jumps 30 seconds with the arrow keys, I want to change it to one second. I found some instructions in my search but it wasn't for my OS.
Quote:1) I want one volume control.
Increasing volume inside XBMC is separate from increasing volume outside of XBMC.
Let's say that I have the volume to 50% and then I start XBMC, while inside XBMC I set the audio level to 50% as well. The result is 50% of 50% audio output. So it seems that I have two separate volume controls that works independently. Is there a way to change this so they are synced?

No. The trend goes to per stream volume out of obvious reasons - we don't want to kill user's ears. Think of amps without volume control and user sets output to 20% in order to not blow his ears but getting output matching its amplification. We should not touch global volume - never.

There is one thing where volume works "kind of global". This is pulseaudio with flatten-volume = yes. That way the "loudest stream" changes master control volume, which highly confuses desktop users.
Your second question is answered in the wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=advancedsettings.xml#video
Thanks fritsch.

I found a similar type of instructions before, which I tried and failed. But the wiki was much better. It's solved now! Sorry for not spotting it on my own Smile

Regarding the first question:
" This is pulseaudio with flatten-volume = yes. That way the "loudest stream" changes master control volume"
How do I go about this? You mean that I can change some setting to get desired result?
No. That behaviour only works when you run pulseaudio on linux with that above option set. It's nothing xbmc does for you, but this special audio server.
Then I got all my questions answered. Thank you! Have a nice day.