Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Detailed information for home movies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I make home movies and I access them in XBMC/ Kodi via Files and then the share on my NAS containing the movies. That works fine. But I'm browsing a list of files. I managed to add covers (by .tbn files) but I'd like to browse the list as movies: a name instead of a filename and information (plot, date, runtime, etc) but I cannot manage it with a .nfo file (because the files aren't scanned into the library).

I don't want them to be in the main movie library, but I don't know what to use to make a separate library for it. Are there possibilities within XBMC/ Kodi? Or are there plugins to manage?
It might depend on the skin you use. Different skins working in different ways and gives you different options

So I would ask in the matching skin subforum for costum menu items and how to add videos in there. But I think you will need *.nfo files. Without them, XBMC canĀ“t add what you want (plot etc...). So it also depends how do you add the source and which things are possible with the used skin.
If you want to browse them like movies then the only way is to add them to the main movie library. While they would appear in the main movie list that way you can add them to a movie set (e.g. "Home Movies") so they won't be to noticable in the list if you use the "combine movies in a set" option.
If you add the home movies to a (smart)playlist you can have a seperate entry in the menu if the skin supports that. If you really not want them listed in the main movie list, not even in a set, you could make another smart playlist with your regular movies and make that a menu entry as well, bypassing the default movie list.
Try also reading Custom_video_entries (wiki)
You can also use NFO files (wiki) and use the nfo only scraper. Here's one example. You don't have to use all the xml tags, just the ones you want. Also, this is not a complete list.

I personally think this is one of the best methods since it allows you to set all the info exactly as you want and you can also set custom sets using <set></set>. The nfo's are a little work to write but depending on which text editor you're using you can probably create templates to speed things up.

There is also some software available that will write the nfo files for you and export them to Kodi, but honestly I'm not familiar enough with them to make recommendations.