Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Everyone!

I've been a proud user of XBMC for quite a while. I currently have XBMC connected and running fantastic on 3 tv's in my home. I'm attempting to run 1 additional XBMC computer in my home and I'm having difficulty finding my network. The first 3 machines are all receiving their information from a server. All of these machines and the server are running from an IP address of 198.168.2.xxx. The problem I have is my new machine is running on with an IP address of 192.168.1.xxx and it is not able to see the server on 192.168.2.xxx. Any suggestions as to how I can direct my newest XBMC machine to see the server in order to access it's files?

I hope the above information is clear.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!
google 'private network' and understand why they do not route by default. Hint, look to your router for help.
Are you using more than one router?
Ned - Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm using more than one router. I have a Asus router behind my AT&T Uverse router. The XBMC boxes and the server that have the 192.168.2.xxx are running off the Asus router. My new XBMC box is running off of the U-Verse router with 192.168.1.xxx
Turn off DHCP on the ASUS router.
Ned - I turned off the DHCP server on the ASUS router and still no luck.
If you turned off the DHCP server on the ASUS router then everything should be using 192.168.1.xxx. Did that happen?
Ned - Yes it did, but I neglected to mention that I have a wireless repeater bridge set up with an older wireless router using dd-wrt that needs DHCP with the way I have things set up.. Is there a way to have my newest XBMC machine (192.168.1.xxx) directed to my server has the IP address of 192.168.2.xxx??

Thanks again for the assistance!!
Maybe if you use port forwarding. What protocol are you using on the file server? SMB/Samba?
(2014-09-26, 02:16)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe if you use port forwarding. What protocol are you using on the file server? SMB/Samba?

SMB
Find the router that your file server is behind and set up port forwarding on it so that it forwards port 445 to the file server. Then setup XBMC on the other sub-network to use the IP address of that router.