Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: AFTV "Best Practice" Audio & Video Settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have tried the wiki and tried sifting through all of the posts on here but have not found what I am looking for.

I am not really having any major problems. I primary stream media that is stored on my LAN via a wired connection. I have my AFTV connected to my receiver via HDMI. My receiver is DTS capable.

I am looking for "best practice" for the Video Settings (Playback and Acceleration), Video Output and Audio Output. I feel like I just don't have enough technical knowledge to optimize these settings.

Let me know if there is additional information needed to determine my optimal settings.

Thanks.
There's really nothing to optimize. Especially not on Android. Most of the options are for when the defaults don't work, so if everything works then I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks. About the only thing I have noticed is the audio and video getting out of sync during some 720p content. Anything to optimize for that.
I know I had issues with MPEG-2 and other file types where I had to switch between libstagefright and MediaCodec when playing MPEG-2 and non-MPEG-2 files. I followed the below link's suggestion and added that logic to the advancedsettings.xml file and that fixed my issues.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1781829
I ultimately found that switching to SPMC, turning off hardware acceleration, allowing multicore software, and increasing the buffer was the best combination for me.

I have a large variety of video formats, and every other solution I tried (including the one above) only worked for some files, but not for others. It was very hard to troubleshoot, because everything would play fine for a few hours, and then stutter, stutter, freeze.

This is the the buffer combination that works for me. I'm running on a wireless network, and of course, YMMV:

Code:
<network>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <cachemembuffersize>104857600</cachemembuffersize><!-- Comment: Default is 20971520 bytes or 20 MB -->
    <readbufferfactor>5</readbufferfactor>
  </network>

Almost 2 weeks now with no freezes, buffering or stuttering, even with 1080p sources.

I also modified my keymap, since I use a Harmony Smart Control remote and wanted to my buttons to work a little differently. This lets me reboot the FTV from the home XBMC menu, scroll lists using the channel selector buttons, and stop a video by pressing the back button, all of which I find very useful.

Code:
<keymap>
  <Global>
    <keyboard>
      <up>Up</up>
      <down>Down</down>
      <left>Left</left>
      <right>Right</right>
      <enter>Select</enter>
      <menu>ContextMenu</menu>
      <play_pause>Play</play_pause>
      <backspace>Back</backspace>