Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New Useraccount with Acces tu GUI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys

I am new to XBMC, actually using it only 24 hours. There are a lot of guides out there for setting the thing up, and so far i was good advised.

Now a problem came up to which i cant seem to find the solution. Maybe one of you can help me out.

I am using the latest Gotham release.

What i want to do is to gain access to GUI.

I read already that there is supposed to be an additional account to XBMC : XBMCbuntu
with this account i should be able to enter the GUI... The thing is once I switch to GUI it only shows the XBMC user
switching to "Other Users" and using XBMCbuntu as user and the password I used while installing XBMC..... wont accapt the account

I created a new one, but it also logs into XBMC

is there a way to create a user account that will let me into the linux GUI?

how do i do that?^^

thx in advance
I've never really used XBMCbuntu, so this is a bit of a guess based on what I'd try...

It sounds like you've got the username or password wrong on the non-XBMC user - or, if it's the same user (it should be), you're simply logging into the wrong environment. When you log out of XBMC, you get a login menu, yes? On that, is there an option to select the login environment - something labelled "session", perhaps? You're looking for a menu alongside the username/password boxes, a menu that includes XBMC and then something like XBMCbuntu, KDE, Gnome, Desktop, or anything *other* than XBMC.

Sorry, a bit vague, but maybe that points you in the right direction!

If you have to create a new user account, you'll need the root password - either to ssh in and use sudo, or to switch to a command login (Ctrl + Alt + Function key). Once you're there, you can change your default user's password or set up a new account, but it's far more likely that you just need to change the session as above.

EDIT: See here... XBMCbuntu (wiki)
(2014-10-03, 18:33)soid Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Guys

I am new to XBMC, actually using it only 24 hours. There are a lot of guides out there for setting the thing up, and so far i was good advised.

Now a problem came up to which i cant seem to find the solution. Maybe one of you can help me out.

I am using the latest Gotham release.

What i want to do is to gain access to GUI.

I read already that there is supposed to be an additional account to XBMC : XBMCbuntu
with this account i should be able to enter the GUI... The thing is once I switch to GUI it only shows the XBMC user
switching to "Other Users" and using XBMCbuntu as user and the password I used while installing XBMC..... wont accapt the account
thx in advance

To get to the desktop in the latest XBMCbuntu, you click the spanner in the top right. Session (if it asks you, is XBMCbuntu), username is xbmc and password is whatever you put in when you installed it.

So, when it tells you the user is xbmc, this is correct. Put in the password and you should end up at the desktop.

Having said all that, there is very little you can do on the desktop that you can't do via SSH. Is there a reason you need the GUI ?
iohh dear

i couldnt been any easier that that....

I was reading a guide and there it was, choose XBMCbuntu from the dropdown menue...

i saw only the login window.. because my TV wasnt properly set and it hid the other dropdownmenue... so i was asuming it had to be an account.... DOH

now i found it!!!

thx guys....... it only could have happened to me

my original problem wasnt solved....

i want to set up zsnes, but the program just wont start, hitting the icon and nothing happens
need to recheck that guide

edit:
it supposed to be easy..
"Now that ZSNES is installed, we can close terminal and run ZSNES from the new Games menu in your start menu."
not happening for me