Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Zoomtak T8 Android box
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For the people with the Zoomtak T8 media box,
I did receive a firmware update from Zoomtak and if you have one and like to update give me a message.

T8-ota-20140901_v2.2.4.zip

egards,
ASDned
Hey ASDned!
I'm planning on buying T8 as well, and I have some question to you if you don't mind?

1. How is your general feeling of box right now? Any new pros/cons apart from ones you posted after receiving box?
2. How is software now (I know you had some issues). Were there any updates? Is producer support it? Any new bugs?
3. Can you use all apps from Google Play store?
4. Can you use XBMC from xbmc.org directly or this box require modified code?
5. All hardware codecs works well? Did you had any problems with them?
6. Do you use CEC over HDMI? (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=CEC). I think hardware of box support it?
7. Would you sill recommend it as good value?

Thank you in advance for your time!
1. How is your general feeling of box right now? Any new pros/cons apart from ones you posted after receiving box?
It's a very nice none plastic aluminium case witch give enough cooling to the player and harddrive, there are more on the market but not with this metal case and space for a internal harddisk.

2. How is software now (I know you had some issues). Were there any updates? Is producer support it? Any new bugs?
I have installed a new firmware update received from Zoomtak called T8-ota-20140901_v2.2.4 and it is running better and with some more up to date app's

3. Can you use all apps from Google Play store?
Yes you can, no limitations.

4. Can you use XBMC from xbmc.org directly or this box require modified code?
Yes no problem, I did a update to XBMC-Kodi but after the firmware update I am back at XBMC-Gotham with some pre installed stuff and now checking this out.

5. All hardware codecs works well? Did you had any problems with them?
Everything works fine but some things needs some tunning, setting and learning, rooted means you can do a lot but also can get lost in......

6. Do you use CEC over HDMI? (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=CEC). I think hardware of box support it?
I don't use it but it's working.

7. Would you sill recommend it as good value?
For the money I think it's a great machine!

8. Cons:
A I still working with a ftp (phone) app to fill te harddisk from my PC because I did'nt find the right app to make the harddisk accessable like a NAS or network location.
B After the update I lost the original audio_policy.conf file witch did give the original sample rate straight to the optical out but now it is replaced with a standard phone setting file witch gives everything at a 48KHz output. My drive is filled with many music recordings in 24/96 quality files so i have to fix this.
C The remote can't do everything, there are letters printed next to the buttons but its not supported and so you need somtimes a extra input device.
D Don't set the 4K video option if you don't have the screen for it because you wil get a black screen.
I've just bought a T8 box. Will not allow me to open google play store and therefore can't add any apps. Also says current rom won't allow OTA updates. Would a firmware update sort this or am I bet sending it back?
Yes the OTA does not work but this is for the most of the Android boxes. it's standard build in the software but not supported. I have a video with tree options how to update this box. For the Google Store I entered my valid Google account of my Phone and it's working great. Before you update make a copy of the file audio_policy.conf because in the update they have a standard phone configuration but the older one was one made for the media player. If you have a copy I like to have this from you. If you like to have the update and instructions send me a p.m. with your Email adres?
can you please send me this T8-ota-20140901_v2.2.4.zip

thanks al
(2016-08-20, 23:24)Allan13 Wrote: [ -> ]can you please send me this T8-ota-20140901_v2.2.4.zip

thanks al

I am sorry this is some time ago and I can't find it anymore but... The T8 was running great after I switched to Linux!
I have the installation Zip for you, If you like?
The Linux will take a longer boot time but runs much better with Kodi and all the audio options.