Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Possible to play HD audio from FLAC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it possible to play HD Audio through XBMC for FireTV?
I have many MKV files with FLAC 5.1/7.1 audio (all 16 bit, since 24 bit makes no difference unless the original recording had jitter problems. I don't care if someone thinks they can hear a difference!).

I can get 5.1 FLAC to play as Dolby Digital by setting output to 2.0 channel, passthrough and transcoding to on, but is there a way to play TrueHD or DTS HD Master? Perhaps with a software transcoder plugin?
Ummm I think you are missing something here.

FLAC is already a lossless codec, Why do you think that converting it to another codec is a good idea?
Because android does not support HD audio, only dts/ac3 passthrough (and then only on devices supporting it).

IIRC, 7.1 audio should be transcoded, too, though... Is it audio only or a/v mkv's ?
(2014-10-08, 07:21)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Because android does not support HD audio, only dts/ac3 passthrough (and then only on devices supporting it).

IIRC, 7.1 audio should be transcoded, too, though... Is it audio only or a/v mkv's ?

Right. In addition, Android only supports 2-channel PCM, otherwise this wouldn't be a problem.

I wonder just how fundamental this limitation is.

Does there exist the possibility of a software hack?
Hola,

Maybe this can help... https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...oplayerpro

AdiĆ³s
(2014-10-08, 17:13)watanave Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe this can help... https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...oplayerpro
Thank you for the link. This serves as a proof of concept that software can work around the Android limitation, at least when completely bypassing the Android audio system and using USB audio.

Unfortunately, I doubt this app has any chance of working with XBMC on FireTV.

Perhaps an XBMC plugin could bypass the Android audio system and use LibAVCodec to pass audio through HDMI, but that sounds complicated and error-prone.
My impressions (unconfirmed) from Google's advertising for Android Lollipop are that it will finally support multiple streams of PCM audio.
Unfortunately, the FireTV is unlikely to get an upgrade to Lollipop.