Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Google Nexus Player
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Another thing (when running Kodi).

I also have a Wetek Core, and I find that the amlogic decoded is superior to the mediacodec for Nexus player. Being in Australia, the TV broadcasts in PAL, 50Hz. If I leave de-interlacing set to auto during video playback, I notice the video is not as smooth and sports action is a little off putting. Setting de-interlacing to YES fixes it, but some video's are not de-interlaced so I have to change it back. The picture looks superior with the amlogic as well, in terms of sharpness.

Anyone know if there is any work to improve the mediacodec at all for Kodi? Or can I add other video codecs to Kodi? Thanks.
Question, can you set the Nexus GUI to lock at 50Hz ?

Also does the Nexus dynamically refresh rate switch, based on the source video's fps when you activate that option in Kodi ?
No, the Nexus GUI sets it refresh rate to 60Hz. I don't have any control on the refresh rate or resolution (unlike the Wetek).

In Kodi, I have set the adjust display monitor to match video refresh rate and it does swith after 5 sec's or so, that bit is working. I know it is because the TV info button reports the video at 50Hz. But after I stop playback of the live tv broadcast, it goes back to 60Hz. Why do manufacturers think that everyone in the world runs at 60Hz?

Wish I could set the Nexus to 1080p 50Hz as the default. Do you know of a way to do it on the Nexus? From what I know it can't be done with the stock firmware. Wish google would allow it as an option.
Yes understood. So you have Dynamic Refresh rate switching in Kodi working.
The next problem is 23.976fps video as, that would be output at 24Hz and produce a 40 second or so video glitch during video playback after Kodi Refresh Switches.

None of this matters for regular Nexus (non 50Hz TV) users as you just disable Kodi Refresh Switching at leave it all at 60Hz.

Yes you need a way to use the Kodi GUI at 50Hz for Oz TV, exactly like the way you and I setup the WeTek Core to operate.

You can do it by Spoofing the Refresh Rates that Kodi uses to match those present in the Kernel used by the Nexus player.
That needs a custom version of Kodi however, such as this code I used to use in the ODROID C1+ last year before it was not needed:
https://github.com/Owersun/xbmc/commit/4...8c9b2c3de9
There was an app on XDA that would allow you to force refresh rate of the NP.
TVHZ does that.
(2016-01-16, 06:25)fab4272 Wrote: [ -> ]No, the Nexus GUI sets it refresh rate to 60Hz. I don't have any control on the refresh rate or resolution (unlike the Wetek).

In Kodi, I have set the adjust display monitor to match video refresh rate and it does swith after 5 sec's or so, that bit is working. I know it is because the TV info button reports the video at 50Hz. But after I stop playback of the live tv broadcast, it goes back to 60Hz. Why do manufacturers think that everyone in the world runs at 60Hz?

Wish I could set the Nexus to 1080p 50Hz as the default. Do you know of a way to do it on the Nexus? From what I know it can't be done with the stock firmware. Wish google would allow it as an option.

Think the way to do this is to lobby Google, and lobby them hard. The Chromecast was cursed with a 'permanent 60Hz' output until recently - but lots of people (including me) lobbied Google to offer a 50Hz option. They closed the first couple of issues raised as effectively 'too difficult' - but the complaints kept coming (particularly as Google were pitching it for 25/50Hz European catch-up TV services like BBC iPlayer, SVT Play etc.)

I guess they can claim that offering dynamic in-app refresh rate switching is 'good enough' - but lots of other boxes have a refresh rate option in display settings...
Hello All

I'm thinking on buying a Nexus Player (low HW specs but excellent price). I know Shield is more powerful, but I won't have a TV set that will use all its capabilities for at least another year or more.

What is the common experience with Nexus Player? Does it work OK?

Also, does it support "heavy" skins like AEON MQ6? (I'm worried about it having only 1 GB RAM)

Thanks in advance for your advice !!!
Yes, Kodi is running on my 4K Box within Aeon Nox fine without stuttering.
But mq6 I dont test it.
(2016-01-24, 07:35)Maxi Wrote: [ -> ]Hello All

I'm thinking on buying a Nexus Player (low HW specs but excellent price). I know Shield is more powerful, but I won't have a TV set that will use all its capabilities for at least another year or more.

What is the common experience with Nexus Player? Does it work OK?

Also, does it support "heavy" skins like AEON MQ6? (I'm worried about it having only 1 GB RAM)

Thanks in advance for your advice !!!

I have one and it's for casual use. The best are the ability to cast just like a chromecast, play some games (if you have a bluetooh joystick) and run Kodi, Netflix, Youtube with an actual TV interface not like other Android boxes that are impossible to navigate. The two cons in my opinion are, first you need to root for using external storage in Kodi (I haven't, so I don't use OTG). Second, Pulsar addon doesn't work which I use vastly...

And finally, connect it to an ARC HDMI port so you can use the TV remote for everything. The Nexus Player doesn't have volume buttons and even secondary button for Kodi which is very important to bring the context menu (this could be solved though with some tweaking). You can also use Yatse of course.
(2016-01-25, 20:54)passenger Wrote: [ -> ]even secondary button for Kodi which is very important to bring the context menu (this could be solved though with some tweaking)

It's already been taken care of in Jarvis, long pressing select = context menu.
If anyone's still looking for one of these, Asus is selling them direct for $50 shipped.

http://store.asus.com/us/item/201412AM240000002
Great deal, and better option over Amazon's Fire TV.
At 62% of the price (firetv is $80 right now), definitely-- if you don't care about amazon streaming and don't mind getting a USB ethernet jack.
(2016-01-29, 00:41)rodalpho Wrote: [ -> ]If anyone's still looking for one of these, Asus is selling them direct for $50 shipped.

http://store.asus.com/us/item/201412AM240000002

In Australia, still AU $129, which is about US $85-95. From the google store.