Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No navigation sounds after DTS playback on Amazon Fire TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I got my fire tv on the launch day in UK. I installed spmc and xbmc on it but not able to get dts working correctly. I am having some very strange behaviour as below, I listed what works and what doesn't work. Can some one please help me resolve this?

Movies in xbmc play fine. I tried files with audio formats of dd, dts, dtshdma, dolby true hd. All play fine.

Once I play a file with DTS or DTS-HD MA audio, all XBMC navigation sounds stop, I can play movies just fine with sound, but all other sounds are lost. Also AAC and MP3 sounds don't work after playing a dts movie. I can get the sounds working again by switching the AV receiver to a different input and switching back. This doesn't just impact xbmc, but once I get out of XBMC, there is no sound in Fire TV too until I switch the inputs. Or if I restart fire tv, it works too.

I am able to reproduce the issue by playing any file with DTS or DTS-HDMA audio. The only way I was able to get this working is to disable the "DTS capable receiver" option in audio settings which is not ideal. I have my audio settings as 2 channels, keep audio device alive 1 min, enable passthrough and DD & DTS capable receiver. My fire tv is connected to an onkyo tx nr626 AV receiver. It is currently set to process any stereo it receives as DTS Neo 6 Cinema and any multi channel input is delivered directly without processing. I have tried latest versions of gotham and spmc with same results.

Below is my audio settings.

I'm not that familiar with passthrough audio and various receivers, but that almost sounds like it might be some strange issue with your audio receiver. Have you ever noticed something like this on the same audio receiver with another video device, like a DVD or bluray player?
Hi Ned Scott, I have xbmc installed on windows and I have no issues with this setup or with any other devices I have connected to the receiver (ps3, roku, xbmc windows, chromecast, PC). Only happens with xbmc on fire tv. Also the problem only happens when playing dts files in xbmc. I haven't had any problems playing youtube, netflix, amazon vod videos. So for me it seems to be some problem within xbmc that too specifically with dts as I am able to fix the issue by disabling "DTS capable receiver".
Can you get us a debug log (wiki) where you do the following:

Play a movie with DTS and eventually stop playing.

Move around in the interface, something that would normally cause navigation sounds

Play something with AAC or MP3 audio.

Then switch the audio input on your audio receiver.

Play something with AAC or MP3 audio again.

That might show what's going on. Maybe.
You could just look at your AVR.

When you stop playback of a video with DTS, if your AVR still shows DTS then that's why your not getting navigation sounds since it is PCM.

I have a similar issue where when I first start XBMC/Kodi I have to start a movie then manually switch the decode mode to DTS then back to AUTO before it pass-through either DD or DTS. I only have to do this when I first start XBMC/Kodi or if I switch inputs, but once switch decode modes once it will do it automatically from there on.

There does seem to be some issue on the XBMC/Kodi (Android)side where it doesn't correctly switch decode modes on some AVR's, since this same issue happens with my AFTV, Ouya and a MX2, but only with XBMC/Kodi. All other apps are fine.
(2014-10-26, 03:52)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Can you get us a debug log (wiki) where you do the following:

Play a movie with DTS and eventually stop playing.

Move around in the interface, something that would normally cause navigation sounds

Play something with AAC or MP3 audio.

Then switch the audio input on your audio receiver.

Play something with AAC or MP3 audio again.

That might show what's going on. Maybe.
I have performed all the steps and uploaded the debug log file now.
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=329191

(2014-10-26, 09:55)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]You could just look at your AVR.

When you stop playback of a video with DTS, if your AVR still shows DTS then that's why your not getting navigation sounds since it is PCM.

I have a similar issue where when I first start XBMC/Kodi I have to start a movie then manually switch the decode mode to DTS then back to AUTO before it pass-through either DD or DTS. I only have to do this when I first start XBMC/Kodi or if I switch inputs, but once switch decode modes once it will do it automatically from there on.

There does seem to be some issue on the XBMC/Kodi (Android)side where it doesn't correctly switch decode modes on some AVR's, since this same issue happens with my AFTV, Ouya and a MX2, but only with XBMC/Kodi. All other apps are fine.
Hi Tinwarble, I have checked my receiver. I have it currently set to output any incoming PCM as DTS Neo 6. So when I use xbmc, it shows me an input of PCM and output of DTS Neo 6. When I play a DTS movie it shows me it is getting DTS and outputting DTS. After I play the movie, I can see on the receiver that it is again getting PCM and outputting DTS Neo 6. But there is no sound. I tried switching my AV receiver to not process pcm and output directly. Even with this change, I have the same problem.
(2014-10-26, 11:14)sapstar Wrote: [ -> ]I have performed all the steps and uploaded the debug log file now.
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=329191

Hmm, unfortunately, nothing obvious jumps out at me, but audio issues (especially on Android) are typically above my head. One of our devs would need to look at this when they have time to see if there's any helpful info here.
(2014-10-26, 11:14)sapstar Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Tinwarble, I have checked my receiver. I have it currently set to output any incoming PCM as DTS Neo 6. So when I use xbmc, it shows me an input of PCM and output of DTS Neo 6. When I play a DTS movie it shows me it is getting DTS and outputting DTS. After I play the movie, I can see on the receiver that it is again getting PCM and outputting DTS Neo 6. But there is no sound. I tried switching my AV receiver to not process pcm and output directly. Even with this change, I have the same problem.

Ok, so I actually had the GUI sounds disabled on mine, but I just tested (with Kodi 10/26 nightly) and it seems that I'm seeing the same issue.

So it does appear that there is some bug that's not allowing the GUI sounds to play once you attempt to play audio other than 2 channel.
Does it do the same on Gotham or spmc?
If I remember correctly, and it's been a while, I think it may have not been an issue on SPMC.

I don't think I every had the GUI sounds on when I was using Gotham.

Since I'm on the actual Kodi nightly build now I'll install SPMC and revert XBMC back to Gotham and see if the issue can be replecated. As for the other issue I mentioned, having to manually switch the decode mode, that has been an issue with every build but one.

Off topic, just a query. Shouldn't the "Kodi" folder be "org.kodi.kodi" and not "org.xbmc.kodi"?
Not that I care, I was just wondering.
(2014-10-27, 10:36)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]If I remember correctly, and it's been a while, I think it may have not been an issue on SPMC.

I don't think I every had the GUI sounds on when I was using Gotham.

Since I'm on the actual Kodi nightly build now I'll install SPMC and revert XBMC back to Gotham and see if the issue can be replecated. As for the other issue I mentioned, having to manually switch the decode mode, that has been an issue with every build but one.

Off topic, just a query. Shouldn't the "Kodi" folder be "org.kodi.kodi" and not "org.xbmc.kodi"?

I have the same issue with a Kodi 14.0 alpha 5 built (think from last week). After playing a MKV with DTS, after the movie ends, the DTS indicator on my receiver remains on.

If you play then a file (e.g. MP4) with MP3 audio there's no audio.

I stopped XBMC (quit and stop application). However, there are no navigation sounds as well.

Only solution is to reboot the FireTV to get sounds back.
(2014-10-27, 10:36)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]Off topic, just a query. Shouldn't the "Kodi" folder be "org.kodi.kodi" and not "org.xbmc.kodi"?

XBMC Foundation
Kodi media center

Similar to org.mozilla.firefox (not sure if that's actually what their ID is, but just as an example).
(2014-10-27, 08:27)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Does it do the same on Gotham or spmc?
Hi Koying, I get the same behavior in Gotham and SPMC. I currently have Gotham installed.
(2014-10-27, 11:29)loekf Wrote: [ -> ]I have the same issue with a Kodi 14.0 alpha 5 built (think from last week). After playing a MKV with DTS, after the movie ends, the DTS indicator on my receiver remains on.

I stopped XBMC (quit and stop application). However, there are no navigation sounds as well.

Hi loekf, I think we have the same problem. But one difference in my case, after stopping the movie, I see that the AV receiver shows an input of PCM, but doesn't play any sounds. For me restart of FireTV works as well as switching input on the AV receiver and back. I hope this problem can be resolved soon. What AV receiver do you have? I have an Onkyo TXNR626.
(2014-10-27, 11:47)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-10-27, 10:36)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]Off topic, just a query. Shouldn't the "Kodi" folder be "org.kodi.kodi" and not "org.xbmc.kodi"?

XBMC Foundation
Kodi media center

Similar to org.mozilla.firefox (not sure if that's actually what their ID is, but just as an example).

OK, that makes sense, good to know and thanks.

I did just test on my Ouya which is running Helix, It's on a different setup and connected via SPDIF, navigation sound works fine with it. I'll try and get it moved to this setup and see if it has the same issue connected via HDMI to the AVR.

(2014-10-27, 11:29)loekf Wrote: [ -> ]I have the same issue with a Kodi 14.0 alpha 5 built (think from last week). After playing a MKV with DTS, after the movie ends, the DTS indicator on my receiver remains on.

That I don't have a issue with, I can go from DTS/DD to MP3 with no problems,

But I do have a feeling that all these issues, the no navigation sounds being played after DTS, or not being able to play MP3 after and even my issue of having to manually switch decode modes may all be related in some way.
Pages: 1 2