Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Live TV won't connect to Win 8 MediaPortal server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have spent the last couple of months (limited spare time) trying to prepare for cutting the cord. I have looked through all the relevant forum threads and applied all the obvious hints and tricks, but to no avail. I feel I have very good skills but either I am missing something or I have a platform that is not fully tested.

I have a media server running Windows 8 that has MediaPortal 1.8 installed with the latest level add-on and running fine. I would like to stay with Win 8 as I have some media applications that are Windows dependent but I am not married to MedaPortal. I am in the US.

I can get to it with a Win 7 XBMC Gotham installation and everything works great. Never a problem with Live TV. I have been trying to get an Android implementation working. I have installed Gotham and SPMC on two Amazon Fire TVs, one Kit Kat tablet and a Samsung Galaxy S3. All of these installations have had no problem getting to video files on the server but none of them connect to Live TV.

I have tried:
setting up shares for the live buffer and recorded TV
setting up permissions for the ports in the firewall on the server
disabling the firewall on the server
various configuration menu variations and tried both stream format options
NextPVR but could not get it working on Win 8

The phone and tablet are wireless but the two FireTVs are wired.

I had started with trying to install the 1.6 level of MedaPortal in that most documented configurations specified this level, but it did not work for me on Win 8. I am planning to try moving up to 1.9 but don't expect that to help.

Any help or direction would be appreciated. I can dig out logs if needed, just tell me where they are.
Update: using an IP Address allows the connection.

While I understand that the server name is case sensitive, I had tried the various ways (all caps, no caps, as shown in the router). I think the logon ID and password was throwing me off. When I tried the IP Address with no logon information it connected.

Now on to tackle the crashing on channel change issue...