Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New HiMedia Q5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
The interesting thing is that the official website (and anyone selling the H8) has completely omitted any mention of audio... I guess they have s reason for this else it would be a selling feature..

Perhaps down to a licensing issue.?
I don't think these Chinese companies care about licensing. HD audio, etc. is implemented without.

Q5 is a solid 3D player. HiMedia needs to sort out the ghosting and audio dropout issues.

I had considered going RPi2, but present builds aren't stable (playback is fine, but chapter skips or seeking cause crashes) and overall performance is slower than Q5.
This is my first experience with Kodi so sorry if these questions are remedial. I am excited to get started but having a rough time.

I have the Q5IV 4K3D here. Tried both NFS and SMB shares on my media server (running OS X) and Kodi can't play files from either. The NFS share is recognized but when you try to browse to it, nothing happens. I can't see any video files. The SMB share has read/write permissions for everyone and the video files can be seen and are added to the library but when trying to play them, none work. Nothing happens, it seems to ignore the request to play. Sometimes I get an error saying could not play back file and check the log file. Unfortunately, the log file is in the Android dir and I can't seem to get at it from the UI of the box (Kodi or otherwise). So I am stuck unable to play anything and unable to tell that the problem is.

Anyone have any advice?

Do I have to root this box to access the log file via the network?

There seems to be a very steep learning curve for this box. I am up to it if I can eventually get it all working.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
1) with media center(himedia) work?
2) try add manual folder into kodi(not browsing folder)
What file types?
I had an issue at first as the himedia wrapper was missing so ISO's wouldnt play at all, as soon as I installed it voila they all worked.
If nothing works at all then yes its probably the share, have you tried putting a file that doesnt work on USB stick and testing locally??

(2015-08-07, 19:55)BigPines Wrote: [ -> ]This is my first experience with Kodi so sorry if these questions are remedial. I am excited to get started but having a rough time.

I have the Q5IV 4K3D here. Tried both NFS and SMB shares on my media server (running OS X) and Kodi can't play files from either. The NFS share is recognized but when you try to browse to it, nothing happens. I can't see any video files. The SMB share has read/write permissions for everyone and the video files can be seen and are added to the library but when trying to play them, none work. Nothing happens, it seems to ignore the request to play. Sometimes I get an error saying could not play back file and check the log file. Unfortunately, the log file is in the Android dir and I can't seem to get at it from the UI of the box (Kodi or otherwise). So I am stuck unable to play anything and unable to tell that the problem is.

Anyone have any advice?

Do I have to root this box to access the log file via the network?

There seems to be a very steep learning curve for this box. I am up to it if I can eventually get it all working.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Inside Kodi System->File Manager works to hook up an SMB share but accessing any file on the share results in the error "Could not connect to network server."

USB drive works for both Kodi and HiMedia player but 3D ISOs are choppy video with audio dropouts in HiMedia player. Kodi only plays 2D. This is probably because the HiMedia wrapper is missing. How do I install it?

3D MKVs only play 2D inside Kodi and HiMedia player.

I can't add a network location in Media Center->LAN or Media Center->NFS. It always says there is an error with the network.

I also have a Popcorn Hour A210 and it works to the NFS share just fine.

Firmware is HMD-1.0.8 2015-04-16.203017

I'm not at all impressed with this thing so far. Does everyone have this many problems with their HiMedia Q5s? Is there a beginner tutorial I should look at or something?
I'm super impressed with mine (Bought from Futeko)
Latest firmware is HMD-1.0.9 2015-06-11.141322 btw
http://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=185.0

There is also a german forum which may have some answers for you?
http://www.android-mediaplayer.de/index....ea3c39baaa

(2015-08-08, 05:11)BigPines Wrote: [ -> ]Inside Kodi System->File Manager works to hook up an SMB share but accessing any file on the share results in the error "Could not connect to network server."

USB drive works for both Kodi and HiMedia player but 3D ISOs are choppy video with audio dropouts in HiMedia player. Kodi only plays 2D. This is probably because the HiMedia wrapper is missing. How do I install it?

3D MKVs only play 2D inside Kodi and HiMedia player.

I can't add a network location in Media Center->LAN or Media Center->NFS. It always says there is an error with the network.

I also have a Popcorn Hour A210 and it works to the NFS share just fine.

Firmware is HMD-1.0.8 2015-04-16.203017

I'm not at all impressed with this thing so far. Does everyone have this many problems with their HiMedia Q5s? Is there a beginner tutorial I should look at or something?
(2015-08-08, 05:11)BigPines Wrote: [ -> ]I can't add a network location in Media Center->LAN or Media Center->NFS. It always says there is an error with the network.

if not work with media center ,can work with kodi, check your shard folder there something wrong.

(2015-08-08, 05:11)BigPines Wrote: [ -> ]Inside Kodi System->File Manager works to hook up an SMB share but accessing any file on the share results in the error "Could not connect to network server."

why you use File Manager ,you want copy file?
you must add folder on "video" section.
(2015-08-08, 05:11)BigPines Wrote: [ -> ]Firmware is HMD-1.0.8 2015-04-16.203017

update firmware.
Thanks guys for continuing to try to help.

(2015-08-08, 11:35)looun Wrote: [ -> ]update firmware.

Successfully updated firmware to HMD-1.0.9 2015-06-11.141322. Note to anyone else having problems updating. Although the Q5 specs states it works with EXT3 file system on USB drives, I was unable to get the install to start until I formatted the drive to FAT32.

(2015-08-08, 11:35)looun Wrote: [ -> ]why you use File Manager ,you want copy file?
you must add folder on "video" section.

I set up another share - SMB on Win7 and turned off password sharing. I was able to mount the share in Kodi under Videos->Files->Add Videos... but it required a username and password even though I turned off password sharing in Windows!? I was able to play a 3D ISO in 2D only (limitation of Kodi player I think). As I mentioned above, I also tried Videos->Files->Add Videos... for NFS and SMB shares on OS X but neither would work.

Installed himediaWrapper.apk and it is working in place of the Kodi player. However, I think it broke the Win7 share (because it required a password) and instead of playing the 3D ISO, I got an eternal spinner screen. If someone can tell me how to upload pictures to my gallery, I can post pictures of the screen.

So how the heck do people set up a share that this thing can use? Obviously, I am not doing it right but it seems very picky. I wish HiMedia would spend a little time making their networking more robust. I've never had this much trouble getting any device connected to a share.

Even when I get a file to play from a local USB stick, the player and Kodi crashes a lot and the file stutters. I am going to try NTFS file format on the USB stick to see if that helps.

I sure want to make this box work but I'm starting to wonder if I can.
Thanks looun. That is exactly what I did but it required a password anyway. Sad I'll keep trying stuff. EDIT: I did find another sharing setting that worked for me but the audio was out of sync. I'll try other movies.

I just finished a 3D movie on local NTFS formatted USB stick. It had a few minor glitches including an audio dropout and a slight lip sync issue throughout but it was watchable. This is the best I have been able to do so far. Sad

I don't know why I ever complained about the A210. It definitely had it's problems but was much more robust than this. I can't help but be disappointed.
Well, I found there is a bug in Apple's implementation of SMB which has been present since Lion - thanks a lot Apple! After installing another Samba implementation (samba3 via MacPorts for any other Mac users out there), I can now add video files to the Kodi library. However, while scanning my rather large library of movies, it just quit so they didn't all make it in there. Also, it looks like the HiMedia player is pretty picky about what file types it will play. I have most of my stuff direct rips from BD but muxed into a TS container. The use of TS was due to another bug on the A210. Unfortunately, it looks like the HiMedia player may not like H.264 inside a TS container. Bad luck for me. I may have to remux my entire library to mkv. Confused

On the bright side, the Q5 seems to play H.265 well.

I am making progress but it is painful. I'm determined to make this work.
I have verified the HiMedia player will not play any H.264 in a TS stream. An error is always returned "video problem" with "confirm" being the only button to choose. This seems like a bug to me. Is there a support or engineer contact we can report bugs to?
No, it works. Here's MediaInfo from one of mine...
Code:
General
ID                                       : 1 (0x1)
Complete name                            : Y:\Concerts\New Order at Lollapalooza Brazil (2014)\New Order at Lollapalooza Brazil (2014).ts
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
File size                                : 4.80 GiB
Duration                                 : 1h 25mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 8 077 Kbps

Video
ID                                       : 512 (0x200)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
Format settings, GOP                     : M=4, N=16
Codec ID                                 : 27
Bit rate                                 : 7 290 Kbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps
Standard                                 : Component
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : MBAFF
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.117
Stream size                              : 4.33 GiB (90%)
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio
ID                                       : 513 (0x201)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : 129
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 384 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 234 MiB (5%)
Language                                 : English
Interesting. All of my remuxed BDs (muxed with tsMuxeR) don't work. MPEG2 seems to be OK in TS container but H.264 doesn't work. I'll have to pull some MediaInfo on them. I can upload some samples somewhere if someone would like to test. I have no idea what is different about them but I would like to know. I guess it could be the lossless audio. Nearly 100% of my TS files have DTSMA.

BTW, what frame packed 3D containers does the Q5 support? Only ISO? I thought it was supposed to do MKV but I can't get that to work.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46