Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New HiMedia Q5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i order my box on ebay from myhdplayer.de today.
after asking about the wrapper he write:
the wrapper is already preinstalled and working, dont worry.
also it comes with the latest firmware.
- myhdplayer-de
Why would you buy it knowing that such an ugly hack was needed in the first place? No one should be buying this box at this point.
If you're ordering from EU, likely everything is configured as it should.

Ned, re: your comment, I partially agree. Thing is some of us want a player bad that does Kodi + HD audio + frame-packed 3D. I need to do several video tests now, but I already know this box won't do 23.976, but in my brief testing, it appears better than VidOn box.
(2015-03-13, 00:33)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]If you're ordering from EU, likely everything is configured as it should.

Ned, re: your comment, I partially agree. Thing is some of us want a player bad that does Kodi + HD audio + frame-packed 3D. I need to do several video tests now, but I already know this box won't do 23.976, but in my brief testing, it appears better than VidOn box.

ATMOS not working is a deal breaker for me..
Then, you should e-mail Futeko and order from them. They do ship to U.S., but they told me power/plug will be European, which means you'd need to find a compatible plug off eBay or RadioShack. Or, wait another week as I have a 2nd unit coming from that other China source I mentioned. I'll check if it supports ATMOS.

To me, my AVR can do ATMOS, but I have a nice 7.1 set-up that I don't feel compelled to upgrade to get ATMOS. It sounds awesome enough already, and honestly, some regular DD5.1 (at 640kbps) and DTS (at 1.5mbps) already sound excellent. Often hard to tell the difference in blind A/B tests.
(2015-03-13, 00:49)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Then, you should e-mail Futeko and order from them. They do ship to U.S., but they told me power/plug will be European, which means you'd need to find a compatible plug off eBay or RadioShack. Or, wait another week as I have a 2nd unit coming from that other China source I mentioned. I'll check if it supports ATMOS.

To me, my AVR can do ATMOS, but I have a nice 7.1 set-up that I don't feel compelled to upgrade to get ATMOS. It sounds awesome enough already, and honestly, some regular DD5.1 (at 640kbps) and DTS (at 1.5mbps) already sound excellent. Often hard to tell the difference in blind A/B tests.

I don't know why there is no legit website selling this in the US...
Here's my (updated) review. To me, despite the headaches I've noted earlier in this thread, this is a better media player in most respects than VidOn for Android + Kodi + HD audio + full 3D ISO playback.

My thanks to Caramba69 and especially looun for posting their findings and helping out. I'm also now in contact with two HiMedia engineers to push for things we want; hoping we'll see results.

Now, this is important... There are 2 variations of the Q5 4K (China market with Chinese UI & remote, and a EU/English version with a newer hardware revision & UI). The firmwares are also different. Also, don't confuse this player with the original Q5 and Q5 II. The best hardware version of the Q5 4K (English branded) are from EU suppliers like Futeko and at least niking-niking off eBay (where I got my 2nd/English version player). But, I'd verify with seller before pulling the trigger.

To make this player work as it should, you need a 'wrapper' APK that forces Kodi to use the HiMedia player as the external player, and if you care about Dolby ATMOS (or even TrueHD only out of it), you need to install firmware v1.0.8 at least. But, v1.0.9 now supports 23.976, which is great... but there's a bug (3D ISO's play at 720p, and you must switch to 2D mode and back to 3D to fix, every time)

All my videos tests were via wired SMB from a Synology NAS. As with other Android devices, I was unable to add specific folder shares via NFS via Kodi.

Below updated 6/2/2015...

Plusses of the Q5 4K 3D (English build/version player):
  • Excellent PQ (I set my player at 1080p/60, and enabled 24fps); no micro-stutters with firmware v1.0.9 (as 23.976 is supported)
  • Excellent AQ (DD, DTS, and TrueHD & DTS-MA 5.1 and 7.1 bitstream fine)
  • Player menu/UI navigation is faster than VidOn (but, a tad slower than Fire TV; and Chromebox is significantly snappier)
  • Watched several (high bitrate) 3D BD-ISO rips w/o issues; same with MKV rips
  • 3D works very well (frame-packed, and SBS, top/bottom)
  • Ability to switch 3D left/right eye is there (missing from VidOn)
  • Nice BD-lite menu (ability to select subtitles, chapters and playlists)
  • No membership/subscription cost as with VidOn
  • Motion bars tests: 23.976, 24, 59.97 and 60fps all fine
  • 23.976 is supported (with firmware v1.0.9); no micro-stutters
  • Can use any version of Kodi or SPMC
  • Remote's range is decent (better overall than VidOn's 'improved' remote)
  • Bitrate tests: Jellyfish up to 100Mbps plays smoothly (no stutters); Birds up to 90Mbps plays smoothly (no stutters)
  • Kodi UI is 1080p; posters, etc. look great

Minusses of the Q5 4K 3D:
  • No official HiMedia support, but very helpful users, forums (here and Futeko forum), but in contact with their engineers
  • MPEG2 HD (1080i/720p) playback isn't smooth (HiMedia player); little jerky & lip-synch issues on some files or OTA/cable streams
  • VC-1 1080p and 1080i, at 23.976 and 29.970 respectively, didn't play well. Choppy, jumpy playback (almost slo-mo for 23.976)
  • When playing videos via Kodi, you sometimes briefly see HiMedia wrapper app in between (so, not as seamless an experience); takes 5-10 seconds (sometimes a bit more) to cue up (spinning loading circle) and play the actual video
  • With HiMedia player, after video ends, it automatically plays next (instead of stopping and going back to Kodi)
  • Forced subs (like with 'Avatar') don't work (HiMedia player); you either leave on full subtitle track or turn it off
  • No watched flag in Kodi with external player being used
  • No 'stop' button on remote (which is weird; must press 'OK', then choose to stop)

Other observations:
  • Power on to main menu is about 30 seconds (not bad)
  • Sideloaded Amazon instant/prime works (but, I think video is capped at 480p like with Netflix), and video playback isn't smooth; I don't have Netflix to try

Please check this thread out for the latest on 3D player choices with Kodi support!
Great Review...
Great review indeed.
You mentioned a lot of important things
It looks this box plays everything (in considering atmos does work with the patch with another box)

However...
You said:

Player menu/UI is bloated with useless (at least for most of us) Chinese content apps
--> we dont need this if you start immediately in kodi right? so no problem

When playing videos via Kodi, you sometimes briefly see HiMedia wrapper app in between (so, not as seamless an experience); takes 5-10 seconds (sometimes a bit more) to cue up and play the actual video
--> This is a bit of a pity, any way to get rid of it? Although i think its normal we see it

With HiMedia player, after video ends, it automatically plays next (instead of stopping and going back to Kodi)
--> This is sad, so if i press in kodi play movie, after its ended, it plays another one? and not going back to kodi? very strange this, and this i dont like

No watched flag in Kodi with external player being used
--> this is something kodi related?

Kodi locks up sometimes, especially when doing multiple things at once (like navigating around while updating library)
--> Thats annoying too

On very importing thing, you said, any version of kodi is supported, so we are not dependant on himedia for next kodi update? The wrapper will ALWAYS work with any kodi future version?

Are you gonna give up on vidon player and even mede8er player?

How about kodi's own player for 2d movies? Flawless?
Can you set up to use kodi for everything else but 3d and use himediawrapper for 3d only?
Quote:When playing videos via Kodi, you sometimes briefly see HiMedia wrapper app in between (so, not as seamless an experience); takes 5-10 seconds (sometimes a bit more) to cue up and play the actual video
--> This is a bit of a pity, any way to get rid of it? Although i think its normal we see it

i have try to edit playercorefactory, replace himediaWrapper with himediaplayer app, but not work.

Quote:No watched flag in Kodi with external player being used
--> this is something kodi related?

yes is big missing. i have try to edit playercorefactory changed playcountminimumtime from 120 to 1, but not work.

now i have set 0 (zero) button with keymap to set watched flag.

Quote:Kodi locks up sometimes, especially when doing multiple things at once (like navigating around while updating library)
--> Thats annoying too

i don't have any problem.

Quote:On very importing thing, you said, any version of kodi is supported, so we are not dependant on himedia for next kodi update? The wrapper will ALWAYS work with any kodi future version?

yes himediaWrapper work with all vesion , SPMC KODI and XBMC.

Quote:How about kodi's own player for 2d movies? Flawless?
Can you set up to use kodi for everything else but 3d and use himediawrapper for 3d only?

Dvdplayer work very well ,the big problen there isn't autoswitch fps and there isn't way to set 1080-24p (button on remote set only 50/60), auto switch work only with himediaplayer.

i have try to use amolgic frequenzy switch addon changed modeFileAndroid = "/sys/class/graphics/fb0/mode" ,but not work.

Without himediaplayer you loss Image/Display Processing (Imprex Processing Engine) and audio HD the big vantage of Q5 .
(2015-03-13, 03:00)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Here are my impressions, an initial review. ......................

quote Wink

i think you have not occidental version like me.
On my version: remote control is in english , there isn't Chinese app and there is android market (same app to be install manual ).
For first time a europe market have better product than US.

this is uffcial post Chinese of himediawrapper
http://bbs.himedia.cn/thread-178352-1-1.html

Quote:I was unable to add specific folder shares via NFS via Kodi.

you can try with Mount Scripte(Mount_NAS_NFS.sh):

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
busybox mount -o nolock,hard,intr,vers=3 -t nfs 192.168.0.230:/Multimedia /mnt/sdcard/Multimedia_01

or adb shell
Code:
adb connect 192.168.0.54:5555
adb root
adb remount
adb shell busybox mount -o nolock,hard,intr,vers=3 -t nfs 192.168.0.230:/Multimedia /mnt/sdcard/Multimedia_01

Do you have try this app?
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8duh64...e2.0.7.apk - HiShare 2.0.7 APK
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bdcdp4...g_0624.apk - HiControl 4 English 0624 APK

HiControl is very nice remote controler .
Quote:...if you start immediately in kodi right?
Skank, I think you'd be able to use the launcher version of SPMC and boot straight into SPMC/Kodi.

Quote:...sometimes briefly see HiMedia wrapper app in between...
For about 0.5-1 second. looun or Caramba69, what about you with the EU models you have?

Quote:...so if i press in kodi play movie, after its ended, it plays another one? and not going back to kodi?
Yep. I'll check again if there's a setting somewhere to not have next video play automatically. May have to live with just pressing stop during end of movie/TV credits, unless HiMedia addresses this issue.

Quote:No watched flag in Kodi with external player being used
Not Kodi related I'd think. Maybe something in playercorefactory that HiMedia can fix. Does this issue exist when using PowerDVD or TMT for ISO's in Windows with Kodi? I used to have this setup, but don't remember. looun mentioned editing playercorefactory didn't work for him in selectively using Kodi vs. HiMedia players for different video types, but maybe we can at least make the watched flag work.

Quote:Kodi locks up sometimes
It's happened twice in about 2 hours of testing. So, I wouldn't worry about this as it could've just been me from pounding on the player.

Quote:...any version of kodi is supported, so we are not dependant on himedia for next kodi update?
Correct, I confirm what looun replied above.

Quote:Are you gonna give up on vidon player and even mede8er player?
VidOn, likely yes. Mede8er, not sure yet. Need to watch a few ISO's all the way to decide. Also, as Dolby ATMOS (the demo clip I had) had no audio, I'm wondering if other Blu-rays with ATMOS will have the same issue. Need to see list of ATMOS releases and check if I have a rip I can test with. If no audio, then I'll likely buy the Futeko version of Q5 and eBay the Chinese unit I have.

Quote:How about kodi's own player for 2d movies? Flawless?
I echo what looun replied on this above.

Quote:On my version: remote control is in english , there isn't Chinese app and there is android market
looun, as I ordered directly from China, it appears you're correct. Q5 isn't available in the U.S. yet. My 2nd Chinese unit arrives next week. Let's see if it's the same.

Quote:try with Mount Scripte(Mount_NAS_NFS.sh)
Thanks, will try if I experience any stuttering with high bitrate 3D ISO's ('The Avengers', 'Avatar', etc.) over SMB.
Whats SPMC?
So we are up to always use highmediaplayer for playback
i truly hope its true what you say about using even future kodi versions
Cause sometimes this breaks everything and highmedia wont support it for older hardware that time

To check atmos
have one of these:
Transformers: Age of Extinction
Expendables 3 (UK release, BE versie heeft gewone DTS-HD)
Teenage Mutant ninja Turtles
Step Up All In
BBC World documentaire: Enchanted Kingdom (Voorlopig enkel in Japan te krijgen)

John Wick (2015)
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 (6 maart '15)
Gravity: Special Edition (31 maart '15)
On Any Sunday (Red Bull Media House): Release date February 17, 2015
Unbroken (Universal): Release date March 24, 2015

For watched flag... try using the new trakt addon
that sets movies to watched.. (even with kodi on windows and external, im doing this for now))
Thanks, I have 'John Wick', so will test if I get 'regular' TrueHD 7.1 with it being an ATMOS disc. I'll also try the trakt add-on to check if it fixes the watched flag issue.

SPMC BTW is a fork of Kodi/XBMC by Koying. It's tailored for Android. More here.
I don't see the wrapper when starting movies. After selecting the movie I see a turning circle for a few seconds and then the movie starts.