Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New HiMedia Q5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-03-18, 18:33)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]looun, no, bdreams is correct. The new version Q5 4K I got (English branding) I believe is the same as Futeko's. It came with 1.0.4 and I upgraded just fine to 1.0.7 using Futeko's firmware. Was also able to apply Dolby ATMOS patch just fine (unlike China branded player). So, I think we can confirm for now that there are two distinct builds of Q5 4K: China market and English versions. Different firmwares, UI's, box brandings, ATMOS vs. not, and possibly slightly different internals.

Maybe it's a placebo effect, but I find the English version's PQ slightly better. Need to test a 23.976 video for 20-30 minutes to see if I notice some micro-stutters as with Chinese version.

looun, on picture settings, what are you using? Thinking I should disable everything as we want the raw picture without any digital processing, which IMHO actually worsens PQ...

setting
display mode:normal
engine: optimal and portain

china version don't have expressX menu?

i suppose: china version: soc hi3798C himedia q5 III(?) -> some site i found this name.

i secure: english version : have soc hi3798M himedia Q5(IV) 3D4K
maybe new version have fix more bug.
Thanks, PQ looks best to me with engine off, but will try what you have. Re: Q5 hardware, I think they are different, unless firmware explains it. But, when I applied Futeko's English firmware to China player, it took, but only had minimal effect to UI (with some apps gone).
(2015-03-18, 22:48)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, PQ looks best to me with engine off, but will try what you have. Re: Q5 hardware, I think they are different, unless firmware explains it. But, when I applied Futeko's English firmware to China player, it took, but only had minimal effect to UI (with some apps gone).

Does the picture quality looks better in Bluray 3D compare to the VidOn box?
I think so (as VidOn's image is a bit softer from memory), but need to test further, and also via new VidonXBMC-13.2_V1.0.0.0.
(2015-03-18, 23:34)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]I think so (as VidOn's image is a bit softer from memory), but need to test further, and also via new VidonXBMC-13.2_V1.0.0.0.

If the PQ is not far superior to VidOn,the i will keep the VidOn,because i like Full BD J menu support.
No ATMOS
(2015-03-18, 18:33)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]looun, no, bdreams is correct. The new version Q5 4K I got (English branding) I believe is the same as Futeko's. It came with 1.0.4 and I upgraded just fine to 1.0.7 using Futeko's firmware. Was also able to apply Dolby ATMOS patch just fine (unlike China branded player). So, I think we can confirm for now that there are two distinct builds of Q5 4K: China market and English versions. Different firmwares, UI's, box brandings, ATMOS vs. not, and possibly slightly different internals.

Maybe it's a placebo effect, but I find the English version's PQ slightly better. Need to test a 23.976 video for 20-30 minutes to see if I notice some micro-stutters as with Chinese version.

looun, on picture settings, what are you using? Thinking I should disable everything as we want the raw picture without any digital processing, which IMHO actually worsens PQ...

Hi, new forum reader and HiMedia Q5 owner here. I ordered it primarily based on reading this forum as well as a mention of it on FreakTab because I was very unhappy with my Minix-8H as it doesn't play DVD ISOs', etc.. I purchased the Q5 from a Chinese store thinking I'd get the English-language version but I ended up with the Chinese domestic version. I'd like to update using the Futeko software now that I now you have successfully done that but wanted to ask if there was a specific procedure you used to install the English language firmware. Thanks!
You can't as I discovered. I have both the Chinese and English hardware units. You need the latter to get English remote, newer hardware revision, English UI, Google Play store and finally Dolby ATMOS support.
OK thanks, I misunderstood. I thought you had installed the Futeko OS on a Chinese unit. I've managed to side-install a number of apps (Skype, Kodi, ES File Explorer, Netflix) on the Q5 but the Google Play store app won't work so I'm going to uninstall it.
Thanks to your pics though, I now understand a couple of the buttons on my Chinese remote! Smile
I have also managed to install a wrapper for Kodi that was mentioned here by simply running the 3 apk's that are in the same zip file obtained from the Chinese forum (using Google Translate). Only one installed so I think (hope) it's the right one as I haven't had a chance to test it out yet.
Futeko firmware can be applied to Chinese version, but has little effect on UI (only a few apps get removed). The biggie is no audio passthrough with anything ATMOS, like 'John Wick' on Chinese version.
i got my Himedia Q5 player this week.
GREAT PLAYER bud i need help!
I notice that the 3D subtitle adjust is not working?
i can see open and close bud no change happens.
I need to put the subtitles when playing 3D movies more on the front, bud this is not working.
with XBMC kodi player you have this option: stereoscopic 3D depth of subtitles from 0 to 10!
also this box can go stuck when i use apps like VUZE for download torrents.
i got screen that the app is not responding and you can choose wait ore close.
also when i change very quick from app's the box can go stuck
the processor can not be overwhelming with commands?
(2015-03-20, 01:45)patrickv7373 Wrote: [ -> ]i got my Himedia Q5 player this week.
GREAT PLAYER bud i need help!
I notice that the 3D subtitle adjust is not working?
i can see open and close bud no change happens.
I need to put the subtitles when playing 3D movies more on the front, bud this is not working.
with XBMC kodi player you have this option: stereoscopic 3D depth of subtitles from 0 to 10!
also this box can go stuck when i use apps like VUZE for download torrents.
i got screen that the app is not responding and you can choose wait ore close.
also when i change very quick from app's the box can go stuck
the processor can not be overwhelming with commands?

Subtitle option work only with external file(.srt), bluray subtitle is Image all player don't have option
the subtitles are with external file and this option is not working.
normaly it would be working.
it is a bug.
this must be fix!!
If you have the English version, best bet is to ask for this via Futeko's forum.
Didn't think I'd replace my Chromebox, but after watching two movies over the weekend, I've done just that. Unplugged Chromebox and ready to eBay off. The only two things Q5 4K can't quite match Chromebox on are: (1) Proper 23.976 support, and (2) speed. But, when I was watching those two movies, I didn't notice any microstutters. And, while speed can't match Chromebox's, it's snappy enough. Nice to have just one (Kodi) box in my home theater now Smile. Unplugged my Mede8er 600X3D as well after 2 years as my 2D & especially 3D rips workhorse.
Nice!