Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is a PVR Without a TV Tuner Possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am wondering if I can establish a PVR client (I think it's the IPTV one, but need clarification) without having a TV Tuner available.

Basically, I have the following set up and am looking to cut cable entirely and with that, all cable boxes would be returned and I'd be left with an internet only connection:

Sony Smart TV (KDL60NX720)
AML MS802 Android Box running KitKat 4.4
XMBC 13.1 (possible 13.2, can confirm later)
Fibre Op internet connection
Seagate GoFlex Home 2TB External Hard Drive (NAS)

I know I was once able to have XBMC running on my windows laptop (but was a killer for that machine as it was a little older and overheated a fair bit), so I believe this is possible as it didn't have a TV Tuner card. What I'm hoping to do is, with the components above, watch live tv - albeit, through a playlist/feed from someone else.

I may be confusing the terms (apologies - a newbie to XBMC, but not a tech idiot to the normal person).

In short, I want to be able to watch tv shows that are are on now (let's say, Big Bang Theory).

Do I need to find a playlist in which someone is streaming that?
Is it possible to see what playlists (if that's the way to go) are playing that show or am I left to hunt?

Is it possible, without the cable box or TV Tuner card, to feed what would be my former tv feed (ethernet, not coax) into the S802 somehow and get it to act as a descrambler (similar to what a TV Tuner card would do I believe)?

I'm open to suggestions, but have read hundreds of posts and the closest I saw was someone who suggested the IPTV client and he pointed it to a m3u playlist that showed two channels (I believe I could add more) - but I don't believe that option comes with a guide.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
House
A couple of extra items:
Unfortunately for me, OTA isn't a viable option as I could only pick up two major stations (CTV, CBC - just a bunch of various CTV stations available) according to www.tvfool.com (pity - already have a dish up there and wired into the house too).

The S802 doesn't have the option for a coax input, so unless there's a USB dongle to be used, I'm not sure how I would incorporate that option into the set up anyhow.