Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Material Skin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As an exercise for myself, I designed a new skin around Google’s new material design style guide. I’m sure many people are going to be running XBMC on Google's new Android TV platform(I’ve already preordered my Nexus Player), and I wanted a skin that would seamlessly integrate with the platform's modern look and feel.

Functionally, I designed the skin around confluence, but included a few homescreen features like pin-able items and expanding submenus. I want the skin to be very customizable with customizable color schemes, as well as lightweight, using flat colors and subtle animations.

I’m interested in potentially collaborating with the community to bring this skin to life. I know that its a immense amount of work, but I’d really love seeing this skin come to life. Any feedback would also be greatly appreciated. I don’t have much experience skinning, so if anyone would could help, please contact me.

Thanks.

watch gallery

For reference of animations style, here is a great material design video.
Hi. I'm not a skin expert but i can suggest you to use script skinshortcuts to handle your menus.
It makes them easier to handle and really customizable.
BTW it views looks really great!
(2014-11-03, 02:45)phate89 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi. I'm not a skin expert but i can suggest you to use script skinshortcuts to handle your menus.
It makes them easier to handle and really customizable.
BTW it views looks really great!

thanks, i'll check that out.
If you want example code for your main menu you can have a look at the Metroid skin.
Not sure if script skinshortcuts can do that type of menu.

Link in my signature.

removed151214

The menu looked more like reFocus' vertical menu to my mind, and skinshortcuts can definitely do that Wink Nice looking concept, I'm a fan of Material and it would be nice to see it on Kodi.

(MassIV - I vaguely remember your queries regarding using the skin shortcuts script with Metroid in the very early days of the script. I honestly can't remember the specifics of the integration you wanted - beyond mixing main menu items and specific items for a view - but at the time the script was in a very early and inflexible state. These days it's a lot more customisable - to the point of providing specific integration for specific skins (as actually happened for reFocus' vertical menu) - so if integration is something you'd be interested in revisiting (and, indeed, if you even read this edit Wink) feel free to get in touch Smile.
(2014-11-03, 11:13)Unfledged Wrote: [ -> ]The menu looked more like reFocus' vertical menu to my mind, and skinshortcuts can definitely do that Wink Nice looking concept, I'm a fan of Material and it would be nice to see it on Kodi.

I pulled a lot of inspiration from how refocused treats its homepage menu. thanks for the input.