Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV "real" app
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know, I know, another one of those questions...

I've read the Android FAQ and I understand why XBMC hasn't been published on the Amazon Store. Although it was mentioned at some point in the AFTV wiki that it's been sent for approval but that has since been removed.

Anyway, I'm all setup with that Llama workaround (from the AFTV wiki) that uses some random app to launch XBMC, but I really don't like it. Probably some kind of OCD.

I'm thinking to myself, there's probably not much missing to package the official Android port so that it shows its own icon on the main menu? A simple XML file maybe? Does it really have to be downloaded from the Amazon Store to be shown there?

I'm also intrigued by that new option that appeared since the latest update. On top of the "developer mode" that gives the ability of sideloading APKs, there's now this "install from unknown sources" option that can be enabled. That made me think that maybe a custom package of the Android port could be installed this way and give us the ability to have a real icon on the main menu?

I went through the Amazon developer documentation website but couldn't find anything about precisely controlling how the app shows up on the main menu.

Although I'm not a programmer, I do have some experience coding small pieces of software so I think I could be able to package it properly, if that's even possible.

Any insight by people with experience with Android development and more specifically on AFTV, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
(2014-11-02, 18:53)ekred Wrote: [ -> ]I went through the Amazon developer documentation website but couldn't find anything about precisely controlling how the app shows up on the main menu.
Exactly.
AFAIK, it's more or less an arbitrary decision from Amazon to "enable" an app for Fire TV or not, AND they do not answer my requests for clarification on why SPMC wasn't (because it's a free app?)

The app is still in the store, just that you cannot install it on your FTV.
Thanks for the details on this!

It's all starting to make sense. I've read a post on xda-developers about this and the guy made a really good point. Apple, Google, Amazon et al sell those streaming devices at no profit because they expect/want you to pay them to stream content afterwards. Giving you an easy way to use that platform to play content you already own without paying them a dime doesn't make sense business-wise.

My guess is that with the Plex app, at least they're making a cut of the 5$ app purchase.

I know that's not the goal but it would be interesting to see their reaction if you sold SPMC for a dollar. Wink
(2014-11-02, 19:16)ekred Wrote: [ -> ]It's all starting to make sense. I've read a post on xda-developers about this and the guy made a really good point. Apple, Google, Amazon et al sell those streaming devices at no profit because they expect/want you to pay them to stream content afterwards. Giving you an easy way to use that platform to play content you already own without paying them a dime doesn't make sense business-wise.

My guess is that with the Plex app, at least they're making a cut of the 5$ app purchase.

Yep, my thoughts, too.
At least, on Android TV, even if we are not in the store, we can be installed via the web and we show up on the menu, so I heard.
As described on XDA http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/...s-t2921479, I side loaded the Amazon Appstore to my unrooted FTV. Now all installed apps (including XBMC and other side loaded) are displayed in the FTV Home -> Apps submenu. Besure to use -r adb switch when side loading the .apk.

I like this much better than using Llama or FiredTV.
Oh cool. Will try that...
It work Smile
Just install the latest Amazon store from http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get/android and you get a grid list of your installed apps, including sideloaded ones.
First time I've ever seen someone happy to be able to use the Amazon appstore... ;-)
Works pretty good here on a Stick as well.
Any drawbacks to using this app? Does the layout stay after reboots?
Seems to stick.
Are there any plans for Helix SPMC?
(2014-12-02, 22:23)lowridin_guy Wrote: [ -> ]Any drawbacks to using this app? Does the layout stay after reboots?
I installed the app using the latest version of adbfire and it seemed to work ok but now it is acting unstable (I still have the Llama stuff installed also). I tried to uninstall the app using adbfire but the app doesn't show on the list of apps to uninstall. How can I manually uninstall the app? Thanks.

Jay
Just go to manage apps in your FTV settings menu, select n uninstall.
I installed the latest from android store and indeed you get the grid of all of your apps from the Apps menu, however, its a bit fugly in my opinion and also I couldn't connect to the amazon app store when launching the app so I un-installed.
Pages: 1 2