Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: SMB woe's... again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

Firstly, much appreciate the support on here, through being a lurker mainly.

So I have got 13.2 freshly installed after a corrupted DB, completely wiped and restarted the whole thing ( waiting on an RC of Kodi to upgrade)

I managed to manually add my WIN 7 x64 FS as SMB manually with no problems, no username/password hiccups.

Last night after scraping several folders of movies, TV and MMA all looked glorious. Yatse remote was working fine and all looked perfect.

Out of no-where it appears that only half my library is now showing, TV A-G and movies L-Z. I cannot browse the SMB shares and cannot re-add the SMB - it times out.

I have rebooted everything and this is on 2 XBMC systems so it appears to be a server side related issue. Why would half the library not show all of a sudden? If I go files I can see them but it says it is unavailable.

When re-adding the SMB share it says it's unreachable which is weird as I can access the mapped drives without a problem, ping it with no issue.

I used to have an issue with ES file explorer on Android not working after a certain amount of time, the same thing pretty much the SMB would stop working - I fixed this with a reg hack and it no longer poses an issue, but it looks like XBMC is doing what ES used to.

I cannot get logs as I am at work and my server is down (power cut I suspect, pretty common) but I will get the logs when I get home and strip the crap out of it an try and rebuild it.

I wanted to use SMB rather than mapped drives which I used to do but mapped drives are a pretty poor way of doing it, plus I want to start a mysql DB on the server as well.

Has anyone had experience of SMB acting this way (before anyone chimes in I have done literally everything suggested in the threads for this issue, no live sign in installed, WIn7/8 boxes as clients and win 7 as a server, everything but SMB seems to work ok)

I love XBMC but stuff like this makes me want to switch to Plex for simplicity, as it works without a hitch but is sooooooo much less taylorable than XBMC/Kodi!
Start troubleshooting outside of XBMC first.

In windows, are all your shared folders visible and accessible, and read/writable? Check IP addresses and gateways if static. Network connections set up as private network. Reboot routers. etc.

In XBMC, logs would be the next logical path.
Cheers Whitebelly,

I work in IT so I have gone through the usual checks, the mapped drives have all correct permissions and security associated to them.

DHCP reservation is set at router not static IP as such

Everything has been rebooted and what's weird is now it has rebooted we have 2 instances of episodes but still only half the movies.

It can play the half that is there but wont even find the SMB shares.

When I click on smb://192.168.X.XXX/ it just says Working and the arrow rolls round forever.

If i try and re add the share it says the "Network location is not available would you like to add it at this time anyway" This is by IP and by hostname.

Will get the logs in a bit I just got in
Permissions got screwed up some how, one drive just wouldnt give permissions to its sub folders....... how very weird, its been working for weeks fine