Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: CPU Temp increases at rapid rate?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I seem to be having an issue with my build where the CPU temperature reaches 70 degrees C in less than 10 minutes when it's just sitting idle on the home screen, which in turn is enforcing the CPU Fan to go into overdrive.

Some details:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 (3.10 GHz, 6MB cache, 4 cores)
CPU Fan: Akasa AK-CC7117EP01 K32 High Performance Intel Cooler for LGA775, LGA1156 and LGA1155
MoBo: ASRock H77 Pro4-M Motherboard

Thing is, it doesn't happen at all on the stock skin or Alaska, and it only happens on OpenElec. I've installed Windows/Ubuntu/XBMCBuntu all on the same HDD (Not at the same time) and this only happens on OpenElec (OpenElec is the only OS on it at present!)

Any ideas on what this might be? I'd rather keep OpenElec as I love the 'set-top-box' feel to it. Any and all help is appreciated.
Best thing would be if you provide a Debug Log after the temp is that high. Otherwise it's only guessing.
Typical David, doesn't want to re-create the error now, must be the cold nights keeping it cool ;-)

If it creeps back i'll post again, thanks for the response though.
XBMC/Kodi UI rendering is a job for the CPU, consider that it running at 60fps and you likely using heavy skins + RSS scrolling about. I imaging that if you disable RSS things wont get so hot... Not that we know what hot is as you only complaining without offering ANY data in regards to that. (A debug log wouldnt show much in the temperature way BTW) but it would give an tiny insight in the other factors.

The only typical thing here is your predisposition to getting into a somewhat defensive position without any warranted reason for it, You asked for help, people want more tangible things to make informed decisions, if you want their help, do oblige in providing such data, else you will elicit "uncomfortable" replies such as mine.

And BTW there is no error.
(2014-11-06, 22:04)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]XBMC/Kodi UI rendering is a job for the CPU, consider that it running at 60fps and you likely using heavy skins + RSS scrolling about. I imaging that if you disable RSS things wont get so hot... Not that we know what hot is as you only complaining without offering ANY data in regards to that. (A debug log wouldnt show much in the temperature way BTW) but it would give an tiny insight in the other factors.

The only typical thing here is your predisposition to getting into a somewhat defensive position without any warranted reason for it, You asked for help, people want more tangible things to make informed decisions, if you want their help, do oblige in providing such data, else you will elicit "uncomfortable" replies such as mine.

And BTW there is no error.

What the hell? Did you reply here by accident? Why so angry?
I'm going to assume that uNiversal misread 'Typical David, [it] doesn't want to re-create the error now [oh well]' as 'Typical David, [he] doesn't want to re-create the error now [grr]'...
Another unwarranted nastiness indeed.
(2014-11-07, 23:51)Kib Wrote: [ -> ]Another unwarranted nastiness indeed.

Nastiness is In my opinion is this.

(2014-11-06, 06:09)Karnagious Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-06, 05:40)Knocks Wrote: [ -> ]Just delete the code that pulls the thumbnails for TV episodes or substitute it with a dummy screen. The thumbnails "feature" is evil and should have never made it into XBMC in the first place. It does more harm than good (in my opinion it doesn't do any good at all).

Six seasons of Sopranos, with many episodes completely ruined, FML.

Oh FFS!. Why dont you go ahead and do it if you think it's so easy!

There are so many ways you could have avoided this issue, but instead you keep bitching about how it is everyone elses fault. Just use the file browser instead, you tool!

What sort of idiot are you that there is someone actually trying to help you and you crap all over his efforts?

YOU ruined Sopranos for yourself, by being too much of a moron to avoid the thumbnails.

Just piss off you know-nothing jerk.

* un1versal is almost speechless.
Is that in this thread or even relevant to this thread?