Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Using local .nfo files and "The TVDB" scrapper together
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I will appreciate your help with the following question:

When scanning a TV shows folder into XBMC library, how can I set XBMC to use local .nfo files where exist and download information from the Internet only for TV shows without .nfo files?

I have a folder with ~200 different TV shows. Around 170 TV shows have full .nfo files, while the other 30 TV shows don't have local .nfo files.
If I scan the folder using "The TVDB" scrapper, it downloads information from the Internet to all 200 TV shows, ignoring the local .nfo files.

The same happens even if I first scan the folder using "Local Information Only" scrapper and then changing it to use "The TVDB" scrapper...

I will appreciate your help,
Tal.
Do you use XBMC or Kodi?

IIRC Kodi (14.x) will recognize this automatically and takes the nfo file (if present) and otherwise (if not present) the scraper will look online for content. It will do this even if you set up a scraper. Kodi will first look if an nfo file exists

DonĀ“t know if XBMC does this as well.

Greetings
All versions of XBMC/Kodi will use the nfo file over the online scraper when there is a valid NFO file present.
So I'm probably doing something wrong.

I'm using XBMC 13.2 and I tested it again using the following 'test" scenario:

1. I created the following file system structure:

<TV Shows>
----<House>
--------tvshow.nfo
--------<Season 1>
------------House.S01E01.mkv

2. In the tvshow.nfo file I wrote the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<tvshow>
<title>DifferentName</title>
<showtitle>DifferentDisplayName</showtitle>
</tvshow>

3. I set the folder <TV Shows> content to "TV Show" and selected "The TVDB" scrapper.

When I scanned the folder, a new TV show was created, named as "House" and not as "DifferentName" which I specified in the .nfo file.
Meaning - in my test, XBMC ignored the TV show name in the local .nfo file and use the "online" name as retrieved by the scrapper.

Am I doing something wrong?

Regards,
Tal.
The title should be house, or it doesn't apply to the folder.
And showtitle can than be something different if i recall correctly.
I'm wondering why setting the TV-level .nfo title to "different name" didn't simply cause the episode-level lookup to simply fail, as the scraper doesn't have that title. I would think that would be the expected behavior.
(2014-11-16, 21:00)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I'm wondering why setting the TV-level .nfo title to "different name" didn't simply cause the episode-level lookup to simply fail, as the scraper doesn't have that title. I would think that would be the expected behavior.

But the nfo file would have to include a TVDB url for the TVDB scraper, right? Or else you only get the local info?
If the TV-level NFO file doesn't contain a TVDB URL, then I would assume it would just use the title from the NFO for the online lookup for episode-level stuff.
Hello,

I have the same problem here.
I have my TVDB-Scraper set to the language german.
But for some single epsiodes I would like to have the english entry in my database.
So I put the *.NFO file (named exactly like the episode itself) into the subfolder for the season and put the weblink to the englisch TVDB-entry into to.
After several cleaning & updating of the database I still have the german description, titel etc. in my database instead of the english one.

Any ideas what may be wrong?
not without a Debug Log
In your case a better solution might be to create a different source for english shows and change the scraper settings for that source to use English.
Also, the file name for TV show nfo's should be "tvshow.nfo" without the quotes. I believe it needs to be located in the series folder feather than the season folder as well.