Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Easy way to change movie genres?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I am sure this has been answered but I can seem to fine the answer. I just downloaded a bunch of Xmas movies for the family. When searching with Holiday Genre I found a bunch not tags as Holiday. Is there a program/way to fix this?
See http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_library_tags for instructions on how to modify the tag to add movies.

Or you can use some "media library" program to manage the tags.
(2014-11-12, 21:58)EyeCandy Wrote: [ -> ]See http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_library_tags for instructions on how to modify the tag to add movies.

Or you can use some "media library" program to manage the tags.

So I see this works with Tags. I would like to be able to use the Aero MQ5 skin using the Movie-Genre
Well...you could add/create/edit any genre to any movie. But you have to export your movie library to seperate nfo files. This can be done by rhe xbmc/kodi gui in the settings (video -> library iirc).

After that you can edit those files and you will find a genre tag...looks like

Code:
<genre>action</genre>

Just put another tag below this:

Code:
<genre>action</genre>
<genre>my personal genre</genre>

And update the movie info...done
To be honest I am not sure how to do this. All my folders for movies have 2 folders extrafanart and extrathumbs and just the .iso file. I don't have NFO files or anything else. I am guessing might be stored in MySQL database I am using?

I am new to using but only basic XBMC so any help would be great!
XWMM is my go to genre editor. It modifies the video database directly, so no need to fuss around with .nfos or tags. It has a simple user interface too, so the learning curve is pretty shallow. Just be sure to SAVE after each modification!
(2014-11-13, 19:15)thrak76 Wrote: [ -> ]XWMM is my go to genre editor. It modifies the video database directly, so no need to fuss around with .nfos or tags. It has a simple user interface too, so the learning curve is pretty shallow. Just be sure to SAVE after each modification!

Where is the data saved? In MySQL database? When I start a scan I see it start within XBMC but when done I don't get anything in the web interface
You dont get anything on the web interface due to some implementations of web-sockets 2 way communication inbetween XWMM/XBMC WiMM/Kodi being incomplete or totally unimplemented (I forget which)

But press F5 after saving and it should update the XWMM/WiMM interface.

Its a known issue, unfortunatly but there's no developers queuing up to fix the issues in XWMM so we need to be patient.
The way I did it was create a set. Called it Christmas and then added everything to it. So much simpler than dealing with tags.
You want an easy way to Change Movie Genre's, well just look into MediaElch: (http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=136333)

Features
Download information from internet databases
Multiple Scrapers supported
Edit Movies, TV Shows and Concerts/Music Videos
Import new movies, tv shows and concerts into your collection
Manage Movie Sets
Bulk edit genres and certifications
Compatible with XBMC
Can handle NFO (xml) files
Cross Platform (Mac OS X, Linux, Windows)
Support for images from fanart.tv
Integrated trailer downloader
Integrated TV Themes downloader
Compatible with “Movie Set Artwork Automator“
Compatible with “TV Tunes Addon“

MediaElch is my number one scrapper, and has made my XBMC/Kodi life so simple.
(2014-11-13, 19:06)rmilyard Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest I am not sure how to do this. All my folders for movies have 2 folders extrafanart and extrathumbs and just the .iso file. I don't have NFO files or anything else. I am guessing might be stored in MySQL database I am using?

Did you take a look at the location in the settings I told you?

http://kodi.wiki/view/Videos_Settings

If you would take care (just a bit), you might have found this yourself. Look at the link, and you will find it. I told, that the nfo-files aren´t there, and that you have to export your library to seperate NFO files. After this, the NFO files are present.

But you can also use XWMM or MediaElch if you want a nice and colourfull GUI. I prefere my method...it´s easy, fast and doesn´t need another program to get this done.

Your choice....but read those postings carefully and use google
Messed around a little with XWMM last night. It seems to work for this. I changed the movies to Holidays and it must have change info in the MySQL database because all the clients are seeing them right now.
(2014-11-14, 08:28)David1977 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-13, 19:06)rmilyard Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest I am not sure how to do this. All my folders for movies have 2 folders extrafanart and extrathumbs and just the .iso file. I don't have NFO files or anything else. I am guessing might be stored in MySQL database I am using?

Did you take a look at the location in the settings I told you?

http://kodi.wiki/view/Videos_Settings

If you would take care (just a bit), you might have found this yourself. Look at the link, and you will find it. I told, that the nfo-files aren´t there, and that you have to export your library to seperate NFO files. After this, the NFO files are present.

But you can also use XWMM or MediaElch if you want a nice and colourfull GUI. I prefere my method...it´s easy, fast and doesn´t need another program to get this done.

Your choice....but read those postings carefully and use google

What you are telling him, is how to create NFO files in all his Movie and TV Series folders. But what he wants to do, is change the Genre of these items, which your method doesn't do (unless he wants to open up every NFO file, and manually edit each one, which would be very time consuming).

Using MediaElch, it not only will create the NFO for each Movie or TV Series, but it will also download Fanart, Posters, Banners, etc. And all the NFO information can be easily changed (Choose the Genre, Ratings, Tagline, Actors, etc).
(2014-11-14, 16:33)rmilyard Wrote: [ -> ]Messed around a little with XWMM last night. It seems to work for this. I changed the movies to Holidays and it must have change info in the MySQL database because all the clients are seeing them right now.

Yes on browser once you do the changes in XWMM and save, just press F5 and it will show up in interface on browser. Read my previous post.
Hi All,

It seems like it has been a long while since the last entry on this thread.
I was wondering if there has been any change(s) in terms of apps/addons on this? From what I can find XWMM is no longer (actively) supported.
I have downloaded the latest MediaElch and tried it but have lots of questions on how it works and there doesn't seem to be any instructions on how to use it, at least I couldn't find them Sad.
Here's what I did and my questions.
1- I did an export to separate files (.nfo) in Kodi, assuming this is what the MediaELch will use.
2- I pointed it to my movies directory and did a refresh (the circle arrow). This brought a number of movies although there are some that didn't load properly. I corrected some of them but there are still a few that doesn't load properly although there are nfo files for them in the folders. Q1. How do I debug these?
3- Assume editing the Genres is done under the "Extended" tab. Seems like there is a fixed number of genres but no buttons etc to add new ones.Q2. How do I create a new Genre? e.g. Disney or Kids?
4- I selected multiple movies Ctrl+left click but when I saved the changes, only the last movie has been updated. Q3. How do you choose multiple movies to edit?
5- Q4. How do I sync these back to Kodi or .nfo's?

I will appreciate it if you can point me to some documentation if there are any on the web or indeed any info/answers on my questions above.
Many Thanks,
Lev
Pages: 1 2