Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: A way to show my library to someone remotely
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Huh Hi, I'm sorry if this is stupid, but I'd really like to be able to let my mom view my library of shows & movies, so she can pick some things for me to put on a USB stick for her, because she's currently sick & has nothing to watch. I don't need to stream anything except the information/library in a simple way. She's easily confused & the only way I can see this working is if I set up a remote desktop session & let her control it, but then I'll lose all control over my computer for the entire duration & that doesn't work for me at all. Anyways, I'm really hoping someone can help me. Is there a way I could possibly use my XBMC backup file, by installing XBMC & loading that into it on her computer? I could do this remotely most likely, and it would be quite easy. I always have the library back up set in the backup, too. I would appreciate any help & thanks in advance! Big GrinNod
By remote desktop (I suggest Team Viewer) install Kodi on your moms device and run it once.
Copy and paste your roaming/Kodi folder replacing hers.
Now it will be installed just like yours next time she/you starts Kodi.
You will have to change some settings to match her instead of you.
Add PLEXBMC plug-in.
She will access your library from it.
On your device, go to PLEX and set up your server.
If you are serving from your PC and if you are Ethernet and not WiFi,, a magic packet will cold start your computer when she wants to access your library, streamlining the whole process for both of you.
The faster your upload speed and your moms download, the higher quality she will receive.
Remote access only stops you from using your own computer if you set it up that way. Clearly in any case if you reached this conclusion best leave such things alone.

Have a look at this http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=168296 or http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=182183 or any of the other tools that you can find on the supplementary tools for the job.

Just dont ask me how to set it up.
Why not just open up a port on your router to put the web interface on the Internet. Just use a password and maybe put it on a non standard port. Then she can just browse that way from any web browser.
Does the web interface even support https? Plain http I would never personally.
I had forgot about that since I never worry because in the rare cases I need it from my phone I usually port forward through SSH or use VPN to get into my network.
So, thank you all for suggestions. Firstly, I don't need her to access any files, I just want her to see the library & write down what she wants for me to give her on a usb stick. I was worried about the teamviewer issue because as far as I know, even though XBMC is run on a different monitor, it's running on my main system until I build an htpc, and I'm pretty sure if she has control through teamviewer, we'd be fighting over the mouse, which wouldn't quite work. The Plex solution is too much, since she doesn't need to have any files served to her. I also have never been a fan of Plex really, aside from it being overkill/kind of a way different direction too complicated to use for both of us at the moment & not achieving desired results.

Does the web interface work outside of the local network, like with Yatse on android, from an outside location? I bought the extra features for Yatse, but still, I thought it only worked within the local network, which is why I've been trying to find this solution, because otherwise I'd just have done that instead. I use Yatse on android currently to control XBMC on my network. (The kicker is, my mom only lives a little less than 2 miles away, she's just too sick to come here & I'm disabled, & my computer is completely immobile just like me. I will be sending someone over with the USB stick when finished.Undecided) This would actually be the very best option because she could use her samsung phone to just browse it, which is easier when you're sick than using a computer & everything, plus Yatse is much more intuitive & easy to use, especially for someone like her. The library features are absolutely perfect in every way, especially for this kind of scenario.

My main question is - if the web interface is only a local network kind of deal - would library browsing work if I just use my library back up (the one made with XBMC backup addon) & basically import that into a new installation on her computer, on an entirely different network, or would the library have problems since the files would be all missing? As I said, it's not important whatsoever that any file be accessed, she just literally needs to be able to see what the library contains. This would be the most ideal thing for the situation, because it would enable her to easily browse through everything & find what she wants without hassle & fuss, plus it saves me a lot of time & anguish (having a FAR overdrawn, super-negative balance of the former |over 2 years| & an overabundance of the latter).
I feel like this should work....I was trying to test in on a VM, but both of my damn virtual boxes/players started acting up & wont let me do anything right now & I don't have the time or energy to deal with that whole entire thing at the moment. In theory it seems like it should be possible to do this & I'm not sure why it wouldn't, but then again, I don't know the inner workings of XBMC, let alone the other components involved.....

My other solution is running a remote viewing session, but is there a way to do this so that the remote viewer would only access the one screen (XBMC runs on a TV hooked up as monitor #3) & I would still have control over my mouse & everything else? I'm guessing that's a no-go.

Anyways, thanks very much for the help everyone, I really appreciate it Smile

(2014-11-15, 12:57)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Remote access only stops you from using your own computer if you set it up that way. Clearly in any case if you reached this conclusion best leave such things alone.

Have a look at this http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=168296 or http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=182183 or any of the other tools that you can find on the supplementary tools for the job.

Just dont ask me how to set it up.

Thank you! That should be very helpful & I'm fairly sure I can figure out how to make it work. That's exactly the kind of thing I need actually, so hopefully it will work for this. I just hope it will be easy for her to use! Smile Thanks very very much & I wont ask you how to set it up, I'm good at finding instructions & following them etc, plus it looks like they have their own forum & stuff anyways for it.
Good luck.