Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cannot passthrough stereo track
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have windows 7 ultimate PC with AMD graphics card and Asus Xonar XT audio card. HDMI output from AMD card is connected to Yamaha RX-A receiver and my headphones are connected to HeadPhones output of Asus Xonar.
In XBMC (and I tried Kodi as well) audio is configured as follows:
Audio Output device: WASAPI: Speakers [Asus Xonar ST Audio Device
Passthrough output Device: WASAPI: HDMI - AMD HDMI Output.

All works well for Dolby, DTS, AC3 tracks - I can easily switch between headphones and receiver. However. stereo tracks will only play through headphones. While playing stereo track switching to passthrough pauses the audio for a milliseconds and then the sound is back in headphones, nothing comes out of receiver..
Typically you want to set the passthrough device to be the same as the audio output device. So set it like so when using the receiver.

When using headphones just turn passthrough off.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_quickstart_guide
(2014-11-15, 05:44)lrusak Wrote: [ -> ]Typically you want to set the passthrough device to be the same as the audio output device. So set it like so when using the receiver.

When using headphones just turn passthrough off.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_quickstart_guide

Not sure I understand you, if I set main device and passthrough device to receiver how will the signal get to audio card ? And if I set main and passthrough to Asus Xonar how will the signal get to receiver?
Passthrough is for Encoded formats only, what's a Encoded format? well it those listed in the "Capable Receiver" section, for example DTS. With stereo sources, what type of formats are you talking about? if something like mp3, aac, flac then these are decoded to PCM as they can't be passed through, thus for these formats the Audio Output Device is always used.
Thank you jjd, that would explain it. My stereo track was indeed flac. Is there any other way I can achieve my goal, basically I have two card in PC - AMD with HDMI out connected to Yamaha receiver and Asus Xonar with my headphones connected to it's phones out and I want to be able to easily and quickly switch between AMD and Asus Xonar cards