Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: while recording TV, XBMC should not shut down with a single button press
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The folks at OpenELEC say that this is an upstream issue, so I'd like to ask for input here.

There is a problematic behaviour with how XBMC handles a shutdown while recording TV, which results in a broken recording.

System: x86 PC with an MCE remote control, OpenELEC 4.2.1 with vdr-addon and imon-mce installed.

To reproduce: Set a TV timer or go to "Live TV" and start a recording. While vdr is still recording TV, touch the power button of the remote control.

What happens: XBMC turns off, cutting off vdr in the middle of the recording.

Why this is a problem: While a user is watching a movie file with XBMC, it's possible that a vdr timer will start recording TV in the background, unaware to the user. If the user switches off OE after watching the movie file, the vdr timer's recording will be broken.

Feature request: While recording TV, XBMC should not turn off with a single press of the power button. Instead, it should show a warning, something like e.g.

Shutdown canceled:
Still recording Live TV 'Star Trek TNG Episode 23'.
Press [Power] twice now to force shutdown.
Is your TV tuner in your XBMC front end machine? I would guess most people have a client front end and the TV tuner on a dedicated backend NAS/Server etc, where the shutting down of the front end wouldn't be a problem, as the recording and scheduling is done on the backend.

You could remap the power button to take you to PVR>Timers, so if you hit power button it shows you what's recording rather than shutting the box down, then shutdown via the menu.

Granted not a fix, just a quick workaround.
(2014-11-19, 02:21)t2ffn Wrote: [ -> ]Is your TV tuner in your XBMC front end machine? I would guess most people have a client front end and the TV tuner on a dedicated backend NAS/Server etc, where the shutting down of the front end wouldn't be a problem, as the recording and scheduling is done on the backend.

It's all on one single machine, yes.

(2014-11-19, 02:21)t2ffn Wrote: [ -> ]You could remap the power button to take you to PVR>Timers, so if you hit power button it shows you what's recording rather than shutting the box down, then shutdown via the menu. Granted not a fix, just a quick workaround.

Yes, but that's not really user-friendly for the non-techies in my household.
4342 (PR)
Why turn it off at all? Disable power off.

Also how far do you go? What if you're running a newsgroup or torrent downloader? Should these prevent shutdown too? There are probably plenty of reasons to prevent shutdown. Current scraping going on? Addons updating? OS updating?
Neither of those things are integrated into XBMC so it doesn't really matter what happens to them. The OS will handle shutting down if you do it in the middle of an update. I believe Python addons (aka. all addons except PVR addons) can already prohibit XBMC from shutting down, just not that many actually use it.