Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: can I start xbmc application on mac os x with my xbmc remote app for iOS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I see a lot discussions of apple remote but sadly I don't have one.

I installed xbmc official remote app for iOS on my iPhone and it's working perfectly fine with xbmc on my mac when xbmc is running. I was wondering if I can start the application from my remote app? I noticed there is an option network wake up and I don't quite understand what does it mean.

I've already entered the mac address and user name/password of my mac mini login user and also in xbmc setting i enabled "allow network wake up" under apple remote setting. But so far nothing ever happened after I click "network wake up" on my xbmc remote app
this feature is only available when using an ir remote. What you enabled via wakup is for waking up thr servers your content is on (your nas, network attached storage, fileserver)
oh, thanks.

what is an ir remote? it's an app or something physical I need to buy?
(2014-11-19, 13:51)lemoncoffeetea Wrote: [ -> ]oh, thanks.

what is an ir remote? it's an app or something physical I need to buy?

ir=infrared. A regular handheld remote like the apple remote.
I recommend a cool device I use called Flirc ( http://flirc.tv/product/flirc/ ) which will work with virtually any ir remote. You map a key on your remote to send a command and use an app on your Mac (I use BetterTouchTool) which is setup to receive it as a global command (which means it will work regardless of what is running on your Mac at the time) setup to launch an app, in this case KODI.

Works like a charm and you can also set it up very easily to use your remote to control KODI. You just use the built-in keyboard mapper to send the appropriate keys to control KODI.

I can't say enough good things about this device and its ease-of-use.

cheers
I also use BetterTouchTool. It is indispensable.
If you don't want to use and ir you can use an app like RowMote to launch apps on your mac. You can also use RowMote as your remote for Kodi/XBMC or switch over to your favorite remote app.
I've just setup a Mac mini and have the same problem.The iOS remote app controls all the xbmc and shuts down the mini fine but not waking on Lan.

I've had the app controlling wake from Lan on both a windows and Linux xbmc system with no issues.

Still it's a small inconvenience which doesn't effect the excellent xbmc software.