Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Slow menus and *initial* buffering...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have a confusing problem. I'm running SPMC (no typo) on a small Android box (arm 7, 1gb memory, Android 4.2.2)

What's happening is that when I use video add ons that require internet ie iTunes trailers... The menus take over 20 second to load! Then when I finally get to choose a trailer it takes another 20 or so seconds to start playing...

Then it plays flawlessly. No pops, no skips, no rebuffering.

This issue is isolated to this media device only. It does not happen on my tab 3 8.0 of Windows box. This box is connected via cable to the router and has a static ip. I've tried various dns settings and am now using open dns hard-coded.

I have played with advanced settings and have ended up with this... (without effect)

<advancedsettings>
<network>
<buffermode>1</buffermode> <!-- Comment: Default is 1 -->
<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize> <!-- Comment: Default is 20971520 bytes or 20 MB -->
<readbufferfactor>4.0</readbufferfactor> <!-- Comment: Default is 1.0 -->
</network>
</advancedsettings>

I'm getting constant 15 Mbps internet connection speed.

I'm hoping someone might point me in the right direction as I'm out of answers...

Ta.
(2014-11-22, 11:02)cnschulz Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I have a confusing problem. I'm running SPMC (no typo) on a small Android box (arm 7, 1gb memory, Android 4.2.2)

What's happening is that when I use video add ons that require internet ie iTunes trailers... The menus take over 20 second to load! Then when I finally get to choose a trailer it takes another 20 or so seconds to start playing...

Then it plays flawlessly. No pops, no skips, no rebuffering.

This issue is isolated to this media device only. It does not happen on my tab 3 8.0 of Windows box. This box is connected via cable to the router and has a static ip. I've tried various dns settings and am now using open dns hard-coded.

I have played with advanced settings and have ended up with this... (without effect)

<advancedsettings>
<network>
<buffermode>1</buffermode> <!-- Comment: Default is 1 -->
<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize> <!-- Comment: Default is 20971520 bytes or 20 MB -->
<readbufferfactor>4.0</readbufferfactor> <!-- Comment: Default is 1.0 -->
</network>
</advancedsettings>

I'm getting constant 15 Mbps internet connection speed.

I'm hoping someone might point me in the right direction as I'm out of answers...

Ta.

Sounds like its a older low proccessing power android box. Faster , newer and more powerful boxes do everything faster. Launch XBMC/Kodi..Open menus/ heavierskins etc all CPU related. Try a lighter skin like Confluence to see if it speeds up..
Thanks for you reply. I am using confluence. Also the problem *only* exists when using internet based add ons like iTunes trailers, YouTube etc. It plays local and local network (smb) HD videos just fine.
(2014-11-22, 11:40)cnschulz Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for you reply. I am using confluence. Also the problem *only* exists when using internet based add ons like iTunes trailers, YouTube etc. It plays local and local network (smb) HD videos just fine.

Answer remains the same. I have a single core and a newer quad core kit kat box. The single core M3 take ages to resolve compared to the Quad Core. Local content is 'local' so wouldnt be affected. A single core M3 using its video player and a quad core using its built in app will have very little difference when playing local content. Also ethernet on older device may not be a fast. Most old devices have 100m capacity while Pc's /Macs and new er android boxes have 1000 mb or gigabit ethernet. That has an effect too.
Nope, sorry... Just installed it on an old HTC desire x with 768 mb memory and jellybean with wifi only. Works great. Another slightly less powerful media centre previous to this worked fine as well until the power supply blew up... Hence the new box.
Is your new box AMlogic ,Rockchip or Allwinner based?
Nope. "SOC is a quad core 1.2Ghz ATM7029 from Actions Semiconductor. This contains a video GPU Vivante GC1000"

As i said the menus are the main problem. Not the video.
Any ideas anyone?