Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Vero OSMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
(2015-03-18, 01:02)hansibull Wrote: [ -> ]Sam have announced that he want to make OSMC available to other architectures, such as x86.
This is exactly what OpenELEC does since years, providing builds for many plattforms.

(2015-03-18, 01:02)hansibull Wrote: [ -> ]I'm running Kodi on top of Ubuntu on my Chromebox, and I miss the ability to change system settings inside the Kodi GUI, like you can in OpenELEC and OSMC.
Why not run OpenELEC on your Chromebox? this should work like in every other build and you have the same OS settings avaible via a settings addon in Kodi's GUI
(see also http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362)

Edit (Highlight some words to explain why i answered to help a User):
my understanding is he misses something what is avaible since years
(2015-03-18, 11:45)sraue Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-18, 01:02)hansibull Wrote: [ -> ]Sam have announced that he want to make OSMC available to other architectures, such as x86.
This is exactly what OpenELEC does since years, providing builds for many plattforms.
Big whoop.

What is your problem?

Seriously, WHY ARE YOU IN THIS THREAD AT ALL?

All class.
@Karnagious This is the Kodi forum, not the Vero one.
This thread is about the merits of Vero/OSMC vs. other solutions, especially given the high price tag considering the hardware, supposedly because of OSMC specific qualities in combination with the Cubox base.

As such, I find sraue's post completely valid.
You know just as everyone else that Stephan has "a thing" that forces him to threadjack or sign up all over the internet as soon as he sees the words "Raspbmc", "OSMC" or "Sam".
Personally I don´t care even though it is tiring, but it is quite sad. And I also understand why others get frustrated over time.
You don´t see him jumping about when ot comes to other distros or developers.

OE should speak for itself. It is certainly good. BUT, it´s not for everyone.
He is stalking a thread about a competing product and doing nothing but pushing his own brand. And it isn't the first time.

It is creepy.
(2015-02-04, 14:48)zag Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed.

For the 2nd time...

(2015-01-30, 12:11)zag Wrote: [ -> ]Just a reminder to people to keep this thread on topic about the Vero hardware box.

For the 3rd time I will quote myself Smile
(2015-03-18, 11:45)sraue Wrote: [ -> ]
And your point is ?

By your reasoning there would be no need for Ubuntu to exist when we already have Debian. No need for CentOS to exist when we have Fedora etc. In fact why have more than one Linux distribution at all ? One omnipotent distribution will suit everyone, right ?

Choice for users is a good thing - no one system meets everybody's needs, with different systems designed with different goals, feature sets, and technical trade off's in mind. This applies to Kodi distributions like OpenElec/OSMC/Raspbmc/Xbian just as much as it does for generic Linux distributions.

Lets also keep in mind that OpenElec and OSMC are both in reality custom LINUX distributions which just happen to bundle and tightly integrate Kodi as the primary (or only) user facing application. This is particularly important on low power systems like the Raspberry Pi where the overheads of running a full general purpose Linux distribution like Raspbian are unacceptable. To get the best performance the whole OS must be optimised and tuned around the task of being a mediacentre.

OpenElec and OSMC take very different approaches to doing this. If you want a small and simple embedded-like OS whose sole task is to run Kodi with a closed (at the OS level) and curated ecosystem then OpenElec might be for you. However if you want a system that is still small and lean but with the backing of Debian APT which gives access to a huge library of Linux software and uses a full featured dependency based packaging system (apt/dpkg) then OSMC might be a better choice.

In the end choice is good and users will decide for themselves which systems meet their needs.
Hello guys,

I was thinking to buy OSMC Vero device, like I bought many of this community driven devices such as Raspberry Pi, ODROID and so on. After reading this thread from beginning I realized that OSMC Vero is completely or almost same device as CuBox, but cost really more money than CuBox. Can anybody tell me what is difference and is it worth investing money in OSMC Vero?
To mandrakes point, would anyone defend the actions of a senior kde dev who jumped into every gnome 3 thread on a neutral Linux forum to push the kde line?

Sure he would have the right to do it. But everyone else also has the right to call it what it is.
just highlighted some words in my answer because it seems some users cant read/understand the whole post but instead must write hateposts to posts because they see sraue wrote something
If you bunch me together with those haters you are mentioning, then you are wrong. I am not one of them.
I honestly mean that I think it´s sad, focus should be elsewhere. At the same time, if you have haters you HAVE to understand that it is on you alone.
This is the first time during all my XBMC/Kodi years I comment on "the matter", and it will also be my last.

That said, keep up the good job with OE. It really is a good distro.

Sorry for being off-topic, won´t happen again... in here at least.
(2015-03-18, 14:42)sraue Wrote: [ -> ]just highlighted some words in my answer because it seems some users cant read/understand the whole post but instead must write hateposts to posts because they see sraue wrote something

Yeah but a quick look at your posting history and it becomes quite obvious that you have a vendetta against anything that Sam does.
(2015-03-18, 14:42)sraue Wrote: [ -> ]just highlighted some words in my answer because it seems some users cant read/understand the whole post but instead must write hateposts to posts because they see sraue wrote something

You pop up in every thread Sam comments in, or where osmc or vero is mentioned. I have even seen you @reply to people who tweeted him about a bug in raspbmc telling them to try OE instead.

It is classless behavior.

But go ahead and paint yourself as the victim.

There is a point when your reach it you become a douche think your way beyond that now its fine that openelec supports alot of platforms that doesnt mean that the rest oft the platforms shouldnt do it either so please have some class and keep it too your own thread.
We could maybe all calm down and wait for some to actually get the device, shouldn't we?
It won't be long anymore, apparently.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33