Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: BR-RIPs Not Showing Up In Library After Scan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have some movies on my Home Media Server that are in a directory with a name structure like this:

Movie Name [BR-RIP] (year)

For some reason whenever my library scan is performed, none of these movies are added to the library. The filenames of the movies are just the movies themselves and seem to be various files (mkv, avi, and mp4).

I can browse to them and play them in the file manager however.

Other directories with the name structure of Movie Name [1080P] (year) or Movie Name [720P] (year) seem to be added to the library just fine.

Does anyone know what I can do to add these BR-RIP movies to the library? Why the heck is it doing this? I'm using CP & SAB.
Oddly enough, I just changed [BR-RIP] to [1080P] in the directory name and it added the file to the library. Bizarre. Anyone know why this might be?
Don't know but you could try BDRIP instead of BD-RIP and see if that works for you... see media flags (wiki)

Guess i'm not understand something but i have no idea why anyone would want to have a long long file name of the form "moviename [resoution] [disk type] [more usless metatdata] (year).filetype"
I prefer simply placing my BD rips into a directory called BluRay and my DVD rips into a directory called DVD, etc... that way i get the BD & DVD flags/icons within Kodi...
All my file names are of the form "moviename (year).ext" as adding "year" helps the scraper...

And why people download stuff which have been re-encoded to hell and back, with small files sizes and seem to insist in having such odd metadata within the file name itself, again, i don't understand.
I must be missing something :?
+1 skylarking
Year on filenames not always the right thing to do.
Would you care to elaborate uni? I have found no reason not to and plenty of cases where it is needed so I put years in the movie name as a matter of course.

For completeness I agree really tv show names - year only wanted when its part of the name on tvdb.
Everyone does this differently. My system is automated and drops everything into one movie directory. I choose to include the quality tag as part of the directory name as well as the year. I use directories to keep it clean in case I use other files for the movie (trailer or subs). It just so happens that XBMC / Kodi doesn't seem to know how to handle BR-RIP for some reason. I've taken care of it by other means to make sure it shouldn't happen again. Anything I already had, I renamed.

I use what I consider to be the minimum for the scraper to do it's job properly. Movie Name / Quality / Year.
Can I elaborate? Sure.

Putting Year on tittle does not guarantee match in all cases, in fact in quite a significant amount of cases it has the opposite effect and causes non matches. Its quite a few threads all over and users who by putting year have non matches.
If they put in the wrong year, sure. But that's like saying you don't get a match because you put in the wrong title.
(2014-11-29, 22:49)clambert Wrote: [ -> ]Everyone does this differently. My system is automated and drops everything into one movie directory. I choose to include the quality tag as part of the directory name as well as the year. I use directories to keep it clean in case I use other files for the movie (trailer or subs). It just so happens that XBMC / Kodi doesn't seem to know how to handle BR-RIP for some reason. I've taken care of it by other means to make sure it shouldn't happen again. Anything I already had, I renamed.

I use what I consider to be the minimum for the scraper to do it's job properly. Movie Name / Quality / Year.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml#cleanstrings

"brrip" is part of the default clean strings (which are ignored), but "br-rip" isn't. It can be manually added, as described on that page.
The year on IMDB is often different to the year on tmdb. If people use the IMDB year and scrape with tmdb it will go pear shaped. Like Ned says, its a naming issue, whether the name proper or the year.
(2014-11-29, 23:20)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]The year on IMDB is often different to the year on tmdb. If people use the IMDB year and scrape with tmdb it will go pear shaped. Like Ned says, its a naming issue, whether the name proper or the year.

That's often because there's a disagreement about what the actual "year" is. Is it release date or the first premiered date? Sometimes a movie will get a first time showing in a single theater and then it actually gets released to the "common folk" a few months later, which falls into the next year. I think both sites actually contain both sets of data, and it might just be an issue of how the scrapers handle which year is which.
(2014-11-29, 23:17)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml#cleanstrings

"brrip" is part of the default clean strings (which are ignored), but "br-rip" isn't. It can be manually added, as described on that page.

Thanks for this. I'm trying to figure out how to use it. It looks like cleanstrings is normally used rename a file or directory / folder name. Is that in essence what I would be doing? Additionally it mentioned that everything to the right of the change would be lost. Does that mean my date gets cut? Sorry for my ignorance. The link is nice but seems somewhat vague to someone who is unfamiliar with the process. I'll try to do some searching to see what I can come up with. Thanks for the help!
(2014-11-29, 23:14)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]If they put in the wrong year, sure. But that's like saying you don't get a match because you put in the wrong title.

Indeed it is.... It is very apparent by now more often people use wrong naming, there is hardly any evidence by reading forums, that they also would use correct year since not even the dammed sources seem to agree when something is released..
The fact there is conflicts in between websites/sources/databases when the thing was released (film festival or cinema release etc) I avoid them and see more success in my own experience by using correct name only.

Im not saying you shouldn't use years, Im saying if you dont have a good reson to, dont.
There is a reason why the correct name + year increases the match success (for e.g and not limited to remakes) but in my experience does not guarantee a match in any case. The very odd cases (and only that fail here) seem to resist all proper name + year.

That said I dont disagree with anything said, its a case by case only, and when used correctly <- keyword (which seems to be a problem to all the issues I read).

Best advice to give IMO is use a renamer like Filebot and remove the guessing out of the whole equation.