Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Am I losing any quality by using software decoding?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Just curious on this,

I am running linux and have a Haswell Pentium G3240 CPU (GT1 igpu) and am currently using software decoding rather than hardware decoding via VAAPI due to the Intel gpu hang bug (detailed here https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=83677)

Aside from an increase in CPU usage when watching a movie with software decoding, am I missing out on any other picture enhancing facilities that are provided by VAAPI?

As I say, am just curious as I can live with a small increase on CPU load whilst intel work on the igpu bug in question. I do also have my trusty old Nvidia G210 card in the cupboard that I could install should there be any additional benefits offered by decoding in hardware rather than software?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
That should not happen. Most of the time it's the other way round. HW decoders do strange color conversion and so on.
Wow that was a fast response fritsch! :-)

Thanks very much for the information. I think I'll stick with software decoding then.:-)