Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Overriding xmls through themes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question, is it possible to override the xml for an element when using themes? I've replaced a texture on the home screen, but it needs to be resized and repositioned - Is there a way to do this without modifying the original home.xml?

thanks,

Ph03n1x.
not right now. if this ever gets done, it will be a post-2.0 thing.
thanks for the info sleepy, any chance we can make this a post-2.0 feature request?
I've asked for this type of functionality for a while now.

I'd like to be able to leave the current skin completely intact (i.e. not change the XMLs in the skin folder) and have a place in the UserData where we can place custom XMLs so when the skin engine reads them, it automatically uses these in place of the XMLs in the skin folder (must be named the same, using the same IDs - of course).

Bascially a "replacement" folder. Would make customization much easier and no need to mess with the original skin folder.
Affini, that's pretty much an awesome idea. do you do any code? i haven't looked at it, but i believe that when opening a new window, XBMC looks in a given location as per the resolution (like ntsc16x9, then pal16x9, then pal) for files if they are missing. it would seem like all that would need to be added is an additional path to look at which supercedes the others. i will see i can find the relevant stuff in the source code later today.
I don't code, at all. I asked J Marshall for this but he never responded to it. Maybe you can convince someone to impliment it... yes you are correct, it should be pretty easy for them to create a pointer to another folder to look into.

It makes sense to have it something like this...

UserData \ skin \ <name same as in skin folder> \ PAL <etc>