Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 1080i h264 from german live tv
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have been a long time user for xbmc with x64 systems.

I now wanted to try out kodi on my new fire tv. Everything works great beside 1080i (50hz) h264 live tv (TV headend). I use mostly encrypted channels but there is also one free channel which one can try (Servus TV Deutschland HD).

What happens is that it seems to playback at half speed (video). Audio is normal. When I open a recorded file directly it is the same. It makes not difference if libStage or MediaCodec is disabled.

With 1080p (from file) it is working fine (only smooth with MediaCodec activated).

When opening the same channels with another App like TVHGuide the channels are played smooth via internal player of android.

Tested with Kodi 14beta5 and SPMC 13.3.3.

I have also tested the same on my Moto G. The results are exactly the same (also with the TVHGuide app).

Hope a solution can be found.

BR
you just found out that hardware deinterlacing on android is not standardized and virtually non existant. Try to disable HW decoding and see if that helps.
Hi,

Thanks, will try that.

I do not know if it helps. Playing such a video in MX player works too.

What I already made sure of is that deinterlacing is disabled in video settings. It seems that regardless what is set there it does something different than with 1080p files. Maybe an easy/fast "fix" could be to ignore interlaced for mediacodec h264 and treat it as progressive.

BR
setting deinterlacing to disabled is definitely wrong. Set it to auto.

and "ignoring" interlaced content leads to the crappy picture you are seeing Wink
(2014-12-02, 14:54)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]you just found out that hardware deinterlacing on android is not standardized and virtually non existant. Try to disable HW decoding and see if that helps.

Hi,

Disabling hardware decoding does not help. In fact it seems to have little to no effect.

To bad. I had hoped, that the amazon box could replace a HTPC. I thought if its working with MX Player, it would work with Kodi too.

Still I find it interesting, that no matter what I change (also DeInterlace settings), there seems to be not difference. Its like somehow playback gets confused and just shows the frames with a slower playback rate.

BR
Hi,

I found out that with SPMC 13.3.2 it is in fact working.

Settings are default, beside advanced settings:
Code:
<stagefright>
      <!--  -1 is default, 0 is never used this codec, 1 is always use this codec, bypassing blacklist -->  
      <useavccodec>-1</useavccodec>
      <usevc1codec>-1</usevc1codec>
      <usevpxcodec>-1</usevpxcodec>
      <usemp4codec>-1</usemp4codec>
      <usempeg2codec>0</usempeg2codec>
    </stagefright>
    <mediacodec>
      <!--  -1 is default, 0 is never used this codec, 1 is always use this codec, bypassing blacklist -->
      <useavccodec>-1</useavccodec>
      <usevc1codec>-1</usevc1codec>
      <usevpxcodec>-1</usevpxcodec>
      <usemp4codec>-1</usemp4codec>
      <usempeg2codec>0</usempeg2codec>
    </mediacodec>

When first switched to an SD MPEG2 channel, I set deinterlace to AUTO so its working fine in Software with MPEG2 SD channels. On the 1080i h264 channels there is no Deinterlace option, however picture looks great and frame rate seems to be really sable and smooth.

Tried now also the latest RC3 of Kodi. Same bad behaviour as before (picture does not look bad, but decoding is in half speed only). So I think it was a change between SPMC 13.3.2 and 13.3.3 which came originally from Kodi.

Is there something else to try which can give you further information?

BR
Do you mean that 1080i works in SPMC 13.3.2 and not in 13.3.3?
Strange...

Mind sharing logs (of both)
I noticed strange things yesterday.

The second time I started SPMC it was again not working. I tried some things but basically found out, that when I disable MediaCodec completely (libStageFright still enabled) and then restart SPMC it is in fact working.

I tried the same with Kodi RC3 and also there its working afterwards. It seems during my tests in the past, I have never restartet Kodi/SPMC, only when I changed advancedsettings.xml.

Great, really. loving it.

With MPEG2 in Software Decoding, my setup is not fully working. Probably the only real 1080i on the 1080i would be soccer or other sports, which I rarely look. So no more issue for me.

Thanks again.

If logs are still necessary, I can provide what you like. Just tell.

BR
Yes, please, provide a log of the non-working case.
Enabling/disabling Mediacodec while leaving libstagefright on shouldn't matter on SPMC, as libstagefright is tried first, while mediacodec is tried first on Kodi.