Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Input
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Here's the front profile to accompany the top view so triggers are visible:
thoughts?

(2016-01-08, 23:07)grumpygamer Wrote: [ -> ]Where do we host it? That set-up will not take long and yes there will obviously be an admin side to it.

I think we might have to bootstrap it. I keep a shared hosting plan around for these kind of things.

Also, the cypherpunk in me has spent a lot of time researching p2p communications. Building a database on something like IPFS, which is basically a decentralized git repository, would make a powerful, hostless solution.

(2016-01-08, 23:07)grumpygamer Wrote: [ -> ]Also I need indication of how we want to output the data:

PHP -> XML?

The best way to do this is make it generic. That way, the specifics can be interchanged without much friction. We'll need to adapt to new environments in the future, and if XML can be interchanged with JSON we won't need to worry about our environment's limitations.

(2016-01-08, 23:07)grumpygamer Wrote: [ -> ]Not really a massive fan of Trello, and it IS a DEV-ONLY board. I think I'd mess it up with design stuff, etc...
I can set myself an Asana board up and can invite you (and who's interested) to it. I can upload files and stuff there so you can pick it up. I can also add subtasks, etc... Not sure about Trello.

Asana is fine, an invite would be great.

(2016-01-08, 23:07)grumpygamer Wrote: [ -> ]Too bad! A pint together would have been great!

Thanks to the foundation, I travel to europe every year for Devcon. We usually have a user meetup, so keep an eye on our blog later this year.

(2016-01-08, 23:08)bry- Wrote: [ -> ]Instead of A B X Y, the buttons should be K O D I

awesome Smile
(2016-01-09, 00:54)grumpygamer Wrote: [ -> ]Here's the front profile to accompany the top view so triggers are visible:
thoughts?

Beautiful. But wouldn't your left bumper highlight the bumper on the right? Maybe show this upside down above the front image, like a CAD projection?
I'm progressing an idea of dual controllers showing so you can map in realtime.
I've not thought out yet the best way of displaying this process.
I think something like the image below would be nice.

Not sure how hard it is to implement though.

Also I found out whilst playing a MAME game that there is no configuration for the MAME emulator.

Anyhow here it is:

Ideally I'd love to put a console image as well with the port being configured highlighted.

On the left you have your controller attached to Kodi.
On the right the controller you are going to emulate the buttons for. Makes sense to me...
(2016-01-10, 00:02)grumpygamer Wrote: [ -> ]I'm progressing an idea of dual controllers showing so you can map in realtime.

Why is this 100 times better than the existing utility? I love how it shows the Xbox 360 configuration alongside the game system's configuration. This adds a lot to the mapping process.

Creating this window would be a challenge, but I'm certainly up for it. I've already figured out a way to generate the lines in your sketch automatically so the skinner doesn't need to do extra work. See http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1932869 . It's a little mathy, but the pictures should give you a good idea of how it determines the optimal path.

(2016-01-10, 00:02)grumpygamer Wrote: [ -> ]Also I found out whilst playing a MAME game that there is no configuration for the MAME emulator.

Adding a configuration for MAME just requires a bit of XML. One thing we'll need in our database is info about the controllers we're emulating. When we've added info for MAME, I'll translate it to XML and put it in the right place to have a MAME configuration.
(2016-01-10, 00:29)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]Why is this 100 times better than the existing utility? I love how it shows the Xbox 360 configuration alongside the game system's configuration.
This adds a lot to the mapping process.

In what sense? It makes it more difficult? Do you think you'd rather stay with the current mapping system?
Sorry, english is not my first language so I'm not sure what you are implying Smile

(2016-01-10, 00:29)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]Creating this window would be a challenge, but I'm certainly up for it. I've already figured out a way to generate the lines in your sketch automatically so the skinner doesn't need to do extra work. See http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1932869 . It's a little mathy, but the pictures should give you a good idea of how it determines the optimal path.

Nah nah the less work the better.
The platform's joystick will obviously have all fixed lines, it's the user's controller that changes.
We can find a way around a complicated line-drawing algorithm.

(2016-01-10, 00:29)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]Adding a configuration for MAME just requires a bit of XML. One thing we'll need in our database is info about the controllers we're emulating. When we've added info for MAME, I'll translate it to XML and put it in the right place to have a MAME configuration.

Not sure what is needed here... I guess I'll wait Big Grin
(2016-01-10, 00:50)grumpygamer Wrote: [ -> ]In what sense? It makes it more difficult? Do you think you'd rather stay with the current mapping system?

Just that it's awesome. My utility is (necessarily) as simple as possible, but that doesn't mean I'm happy with it.

(2016-01-10, 00:50)grumpygamer Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-10, 00:29)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]Adding a configuration for MAME just requires a bit of XML. One thing we'll need in our database is info about the controllers we're emulating. When we've added info for MAME, I'll translate it to XML and put it in the right place to have a MAME configuration.

Not sure what is needed here... I guess I'll wait Big Grin

We need a list of buttons that MAME supports. They are grouped into categories, so the Kodi/default controller has "face", "shoulder", "trigger" and "analog stick" categories. The categories aren't shown in the GUI currently, but someday I'd like them to be. If you can write a list of buttons grouped into one or more categories, I'll make a MAME configuration for it.
garbear Wrote:We need a list of buttons that MAME supports. They are grouped into categories, so the Kodi/default controller has "face", "shoulder", "trigger" and "analog stick" categories. The categories aren't shown in the GUI currently, but someday I'd like them to be. If you can write a list of buttons grouped into one or more categories, I'll make a MAME configuration for it.

But mame supported buttons can't be generalised. They are always different and machine-specifc. Some have a steering wheel, some have just two buttons...

Edit: actually I've forgotten to ask, can you use SVGs in Kodi?

Edit: aargh the N64 Controller... 3 views! Damn Z button!
(2016-01-10, 01:10)grumpygamer Wrote: [ -> ]
garbear Wrote:We need a list of buttons that MAME supports. They are grouped into categories, so the Kodi/default controller has "face", "shoulder", "trigger" and "analog stick" categories. The categories aren't shown in the GUI currently, but someday I'd like them to be. If you can write a list of buttons grouped into one or more categories, I'll make a MAME configuration for it.

But mame supported buttons can't be generalised. They are always different and machine-specifc. Some have a steering wheel, some have just two buttons...

Keep in mind that this problem has probably been solved already, and similar to how I use RetroPie's libretro mappings as fallbacks, we should hunt down this information and use it to improve our UX wherever possible.

Ultimately we'll need a per-game database. I've created several game database attempts, but each time I'm defeated by the poor design of the existing database system. I've even tried throwing everything out and starting from scratch using NoSQL. A new database design is a significant talking point in the team right now, so I'll wait to see what comes of this.

Until then, we'll need to do our best to map games the best we can. Does MAME have any data we rely on? What about ScummVM, doesn't that support a similar set of arcade games? Does our sister frontend, RetroArch, do anything special for MAME games? What about RetroPie or any other libretro-based systems?

(2016-01-10, 01:10)grumpygamer Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: actually I've forgotten to ask, can you use SVGs in Kodi?

I don't think so. We might have to render as pngs.
(2016-01-10, 02:07)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-10, 01:10)grumpygamer Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: actually I've forgotten to ask, can you use SVGs in Kodi?

I don't think so. We might have to render as pngs.

Sad we'll loose all animations and cool stuff we could do!
Finally finished the N64 Controller.

00:40 here in Europe
Looks good!

Reminds me. We'll need to get rumble working in the future Smile
(2016-01-05, 02:14)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, the "Analog" button is a hardware feature that can't be detected by software. From my experience, enabling the analog LED works better more often than being disabled. I have controllers that simply can't be fully mapped, because the analog button always disables some features. I just created button maps for the analog mode that enabled the most features. Maybe add a comment in the button map XML or its commit's header about this?

Can you do a little more investigating here and let me know what you discover in regards to the analog button?

I did some testing with the USB PSX Adapter (Dual shock controller):
When the analog button is enabled it will:
actual dpad = dpad
left stick = x,y axis
right stick = z axis
When the analog button is disabled it will:
actual dpad = x,y axis
left stick = nothing (Left thumb button is also disabled)
right stick = nothing (Right thumb button is also disabled)

When i plugged in a non-dual shock controller into the adapter. (One without sticks):
actual dpad = x,y axis

This makes it a bit difficult, since i map the dpad to dpad, this controller will not control Kodi.

I also did some testing with an USB dual shock knockoff:
When the analog button is enabled it will:
actual dpad = dpad
left stick = x,y axis
right stick = z axis
When the analog button is disabled it will:
actual dpad = x,y axis
left stick = x,y axis (so same as dpad)
right stick = button 1,2,3,4 (so same as cross,circle,square,triangle)

Hope this is some usefull information for you.
Hello,

I would suggest to show the backside of the controller like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-12VvydvIZeY/UI...g+keys.png

Because this is how the user sees it if he has the controller in the hand.

Cheers. Smile
yup, that has been suggested already.
I'm just getting the main controllers ready so Garbear has something to work with, then I'll take a better look at the UI for the calibration / platform choice, etc...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26