Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Input
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
(2016-01-10, 02:48)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]Looks good!

Reminds me. We'll need to get rumble working in the future Smile

And that reminded me of Gyro/Motion control. :p

Forgot what you could attach to the N64 controller. Remember a memory card and rumble, was there anything else?
(2016-01-10, 02:48)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]Looks good!

Reminds me. We'll need to get rumble working in the future Smile

https://trello.com/b/O9149cT8/retroplayer

Rumble is still on our Roadmap Smile
(2016-01-10, 00:29)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-10, 00:02)grumpygamer Wrote: [ -> ]Also I found out whilst playing a MAME game that there is no configuration for the MAME emulator.

Adding a configuration for MAME just requires a bit of XML. One thing we'll need in our database is info about the controllers we're emulating. When we've added info for MAME, I'll translate it to XML and put it in the right place to have a MAME configuration.

MAME will be tough. There is a kajillion control inputs that are available, hopefully one or two layouts will handle 90% of the games, and the one-offs can be supported via config file or similar manual configuration. Here's a good reference for some standard layouts (6 and 8 button, minus the player one and coin inputs)

Here's a particularly cool layout that has everything except the kitchen sink.
yeah, not sure how I'll tackle that.
In the meanwhile I just finished tracing the SNES system to conform the style I'd like to use

This together with the controller that I've done makes a good match.
It will take some time to get the main consoles done, but I probably have a collaborator Big Grin

Ideally on the controller mapping interface you will see part of the console (or the entire console) with the highlighted port that is being configured.

Edit: here is the finished controller

On the UI I will add a small cable that will end near the connector with it's plug.
To be able to do this with all platforms I am collecting a lot of user manuals!
Those look awesome! Some consoles require a special device to enable multiple controllers, I think on NES it is called the "multitap". How should we integrate this device? Assume it is always attached so the game gets the maximum amount of players?
This?

Do emulators use this?
If so it's your call how to enable/disable it (I'd do it in platform-specific screen)
Visually I can just draw that and show it connected to a port. Not that hard I'd say.

Edit: can anyone provide me a blank configuration screen for confluence?
Excellent skills on the vector art!

Just a thought, but maybe would be nice with gradient colours Wink

Can it might be a good idea to start a new topic in the Artwork forum for Games controller Images?
The artwork looks great.

I'm wondering if the actual names and logos should be removed?

People know what they are just by the shape anyway
Games that aren't written for the 4-Player adapters often don't work correctly when one is attached. Retroarch unfortunately doesn't seem to have the best system for handling these, most of the cores treat them as a type of controller to be attached to port 1/2 or both, while only Beetle/Mednafen PSX has it as a core option (which makes more sense to me, but I was told the peripheral way was the way to go when I added some multitap support to Yabause). For most systems, the number of games supporting 4 Player adapters is quite small relative to the total number of games, so its probably best a setting that should be saved for multitap games in the DB and the multitap be connected automatically only when such games are loaded.

As an aside, the 4+ player games are normally fantastic party games for when you have a few friends round.

(2016-01-13, 07:25)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]Those look awesome! Some consoles require a special device to enable multiple controllers, I think on NES it is called the "multitap". How should we integrate this device? Assume it is always attached so the game gets the maximum amount of players?
@zag
good idea, so all we do is not scattered everywhere on this thread.

@karl_87
not sure, yeah, might take them out. I'll have a look when I finish the first UI for mapping (working on it currently)

@garbear
Can you use APNGs? Can you do image changes (like a hover effect - to explain myself)? Can you do alpha animations?
(2016-01-13, 13:31)karl_87 Wrote: [ -> ]The artwork looks great.

Most people will be unfamiliar with a portion of the available controllers. I am in favor of including the logos. IANAL but trademarks are subject to fair use which, according to Wikipedia, applies when you are using the mark to describe its owner or their product.

So writing "A Nintendo controller" or "The Nintendo platform" or "Game publisher: Nintendo" are fine. A Nintendo logo on its controller image or after the label "Game publisher:" are fine. But showing the Nintendo logo on a blank screen without the ® or putting their logo on an image of your controller qualifies as infringement.

(2016-01-13, 18:59)grumpygamer Wrote: [ -> ]Can you use APNGs? Can you do image changes (like a hover effect - to explain myself)? Can you do alpha animations?

I don't think so. We only support what our dependencies support. It might be worth looking into if any of these support SVG or APNG. If not, adding a new dependency is a possibility. But the more we add, the longer it takes to get merged.
Didn't we add apng already? Could be wrong ofcourse. Guess fritsch or Ace knows more
(2016-01-14, 01:04)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-13, 13:31)karl_87 Wrote: [ -> ]The artwork looks great.

Most people will be unfamiliar with a portion of the available controllers. I am in favor of including the logos. IANAL but trademarks are subject to fair use which, according to Wikipedia, applies when you are using the mark to describe its owner or their product.

So writing "A Nintendo controller" or "The Nintendo platform" or "Game publisher: Nintendo" are fine. A Nintendo logo on its controller image or after the label "Game publisher:" are fine. But showing the Nintendo logo on a blank screen without the ® or putting their logo on an image of your controller qualifies as infringement.

(2016-01-13, 18:59)grumpygamer Wrote: [ -> ]Can you use APNGs? Can you do image changes (like a hover effect - to explain myself)? Can you do alpha animations?

I don't think so. We only support what our dependencies support. It might be worth looking into if any of these support SVG or APNG. If not, adding a new dependency is a possibility. But the more we add, the longer it takes to get merged.

This is more what I was thinking, but you seem to have it already figured it out. Good stuff!
As per Zag's suggestion I am taking all artwork-related stuff to this post.
(2016-01-14, 01:08)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]Didn't we add apng already? Could be wrong ofcourse. Guess fritsch or Ace knows more
I think that Ace only added support for Animated GIF to guilib so far, as per pull requests 8188 and 8785

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8188
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8785

He did however breifly mention in the animated FanArt / backdrop feature discussion thread that he did have plans to also support for Animated PNG (APNG) once full support for animated GIFs was done, see:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=141442

Support for SVG and other vector graphics formats in libgui have also been requested a few times before as well but it can not find information that anyone took a deeper look at it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26